upgrade question

When I look online, I can book a new reservation (outside view) for only $60 more than my current reservation (interior). But when I call to ask about changing (even giving them the new cabin number, they quote me $165 more to upgrade. Any idea why? I'm inside my full-payment date, so I don't think I can just make a new res and cancel the old one, right? Brand new to cruising, so unsure about all of it ....

Related to the question above. Has anybody ever upgraded on embarkation day? I know usually all cabins are filled by then, but still curious. If so, was the cost the same as if you did it before embarkation?

There is always a possibility, but most ships sail full. I've asked each time over the past five or six cruises and there haven't been any upgrades available.

There is always a possibility, but most ships sail full. I've asked each time over the past five or six cruises and there haven't been any upgrades available.

I'm assuming that any upgrade,  if available, would be a paid upgrade? Especially for first time cruisers, like ourselves.

It may be a larger difference than what you see on the website if you're looking at a per person rate.  That would bring you to $120, I'd suspect a bit more with tax, but that's still a jump.  This is where it's good to have a travel agent to work things out for you.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples - not all OV categories are the same, perhaps you're looking at different categories of that type, or even a guarantee vs an assigned room?

It may be a larger difference than what you see on the website if you're looking at a per person rate.  That would bring you to $120, I'd suspect a bit more with tax, but that's still a jump.  This is where it's good to have a travel agent to work things out for you.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples - not all OV categories are the same, perhaps you're looking at different categories of that type, or even a guarantee vs an assigned room?

Not a per person rate. I'm just doing a booking from scratch for our family of 4, same sailing we already have booked. I even told the lady on the phone the room number I was looking at and she came up with a different total. I did see online that on the per person pricing screen it says "+$25 Bonus savings at checkout". I wonder if that's the difference? Maybe that $25/person savings is only available online?