Alaska advice needed

25 minutes ago, Brando95 said:

I've only done it once and it was the southbound with the land tour at the beginning.

Well it seems we are doing the exact opposite, lol. We have the Northbound booked with a short stay based in Anchorage afterwards. With everyone's schedules that's what worked best for us. We also figured if anyone wanted to extent their stay on land they were able to do so. Would have loved to done a tour of Denali or go further into Alaska but we just couldn't get that much time off all at once. 

27 minutes ago, Brando95 said:

As far as which side of the ship. I don't think it matters much. When you're in the inside passage you'll have scenery on both sides of the ship. On glacier viewing day the ship will rotate to give everyone a view. 

We solved that by booking an aft cabin. I've stayed in one before and loved it. The long walk to the cabin isn't something that bothers me at all. I can't wait to sit in my pj's wrapped up in a blanket viewing Hubbard Glacier!

29 minutes ago, Brando95 said:

Now that I've gone once, when I go back I'll most likely do a 7 day roundtrip unless I'm with someone who has never done it in which case I'm down to go another cruise-tour

We are currently treating this as a once in a lifetime trip, but it sure would be nice to get back there again. As I'm researching there's just so many places I'd love to be able to visit but just can't this time around.

9 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Called Hertz: They are quite astonished, as not even they can quote any car on any date in 2023 in Anchorage. Except this suspicious manager's special without any further information.

Goodness - don't go with the suspicious manager's special.  I tried that once to save some money.  Never again.  I hated that car.  Don't get me wrong - I love Hertz.  But I will never get the manager's special.  I think they save the cars that are about to be rotated out for the special.  The car, while it did run well, was dirty and worn to its bones. 

16 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

Goodness - don't go with the suspicious manager's special.  I tried that once to save some money.  Never again.  I hated that car.  Don't get me wrong - I love Hertz.  But I will never get the manager's special.  I think they save the cars that are about to be rotated out for the special.  The car, while it did run well, was dirty and worn to its bones. 

The Manager' special is the only option available.

@NJCruisers My parents said it was "once in a lifetime" when they did it for their 20th anniversary. Then when they got back they couldn't stop talking about how they wanted to do it again someday. I told them when they did, I'm going. So they showed me the ropes in 2019 and I thought of it as "once in a lifetime" but after seeing it, I definitely want to go back and experience it again. So majestic and beautiful. 

5 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Expedia shows no availability for the one way rental. 

That's the major problem.

At least, PL via Autoslash shows the Managers' special for 961$ 🤪

Sounds like it might be time for a change in plans. The alaska railroad offers daily service in addition to the special train you can book through royal.  It's a fun ride and really shouldn't be missed.