Guaranteed State Rooms

It can be anytime from far in advance to the day of your sailing. It will just appear.

That said, there is something called the "bar code trick" that often allows you to find out your cabin before it is officially assigned. Once you check-in, you can add your set sail pass from the app to your Apple wallet (if an Apple user) and numbers will appear under the bar code. The numbers to the right of the dash are your cabin. If an Android user, simply scan the bar code to see those numbers. Occasionally you will still see "GTY" instead of the cabin number and then you just have to wait.

Once officially assigned (i.e. your cabin actually appears on your documents), you can request to be moved to any available cabin in the same exact category at no charge.  *NOTE: This applies to US citizens. I believe i have read that you cannot move when booking from the UK. Not sure about other countries.

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Mathmoo said:

For those who have booked guaranteed balcony, how happy were you with the assigned room?

We are happy with ours! Quantum of the Seas. Deck 12, midship close to the elevator. Not an obstructed view or anything. Not sure if we just got the luck of the draw but we are very happy and saved quite a bit of money in the end

4 hours ago, Mathmoo said:

For those who have booked guaranteed balcony, how happy were you with the assigned room?

Any answer you get will be anecdotal. If there's a cabin in the category you book that would make you unhappy, you might get it. Same goes for the opposite.

If you're not aware, and booking from the US, once your cabin is officially assigned you can switch it to another in the same category if any are available.