On Board Wheel Chairs?

rjac

I've never seen any electric ones for loan on a ship but have in the past seen one or two Manual ones around.

Things are much tighter now though and wheelchairs on board are under stricter rules than when we first began cruising.

Maybe check with RC may be the best way

I do not remember which are Royal Caribbean preferred providers, but several 3rd party providers rent scooters to passengers on board cruise ships. My Mother rents on for every cruise and I am always surprised how reasonable the price is. I believe on of the companies is "special needs at sea" I would recommend an accessible state room as the doors are wider to allow easier access. You can certainly contact RCL and here is a link to RCL mobility needs Web site.

I was looking at an ECV rental for our 2018 cruise, as I typically book one for big trips like this where I expect to be walking a lot, and was pointed to the site referenced by FloatMe -- SpecialNeedsAtSea.com.

Something to keep in mind with electric scooters: If you are at a port that requires a tender, you may not be able to bring your scooter onto the tender. It all depends on whether there is any type of stair-free gangway onto and off of the tender, whether that tender is large enough / designed properly to support having a scooter on board, and/or if the crew is willing to manhandle the scooter on/off at either end if there's no stair-free option. Those caveats initially led me to decide against renting one, but it looks like all of our ports have piers and I might be able to swing it. Will be reevaluating as the cruise gets closer.

I have rented scooters three times from Special Needs and it was wonderful to have it in my room when I arrived. It is expensive but it provides peace of mind. There are several things to remember when renting, you can't leave the chair out of your room, it blocks the hallways and Royal will ask you to put it in your room, if you didn't get an accessible cabin that can be a problem. On one of my cruises it was parked in the shower because there was not place else for it. If you use a Royal wheelchair it isn't yours for the whole cruise, if a passenger breaks a leg, sprains an ankle, it is taken away from you and given to them if they have no more chairs. Royal doesn't allow their chairs to go off ship, so can't take them on a shore excursion. If in a tender port, most of the time you can't get off. Even a port with a gangway, I think it was on my Panama Canal cruise, as I approached in my scooter to get off the ship, the gangway was about a 30 degree angle and my chair wouldn't go up it and Royal doesn't allow their employees help get it up the ramp, so I couldn't get off. 

These are things that cruise lines don't bother telling you.

Candie

We have cruised with a powered wheelchair user and as mentioned above it is not always possible to take it off the ship if it's a tender port. We always take a Lightweight Wheelchair with us - just in case!

Accessible staterooms are the best as there is generally room to place the wheelchair out of the way. 

Many cruise lines now do not allow wheelchairs to be left outside of the stateroom as they effectively 'block' the corridor.

This is obviously a safety issue. I'm not sure of RC Policy as we always have an accessible room.

We have found RC excellent for holidays with wheelchair user, their ships generally have automatic door openings in public areas and hoist for the pool/ hot tub. Staff are excellent at offering assistance in the Windjammer as well. 

I have to say cruising is our preferred holiday choice if our wheelchair user is holidaying with us and we always use our Southampton Port as we take so much extra luggage it's easier than flying.

This year we are travelling alone but RC could the UK possibly have a round trip cruise from Southampton through Carribbean at some time in the future  :rolleyes: Our wheelchair user would love that !  ;)

Royal wheelchair rules do not allow for parking the chair in the hallway, it impedes traffic and the stateroom attendant from doing their job. I took a cruise about a year ago and there was no way the scooter was going in the cabin, so Royal would take it when I was through with it at night and put it in an employee only area, but they did state they don't normally do this.

Candie

• 11 months later...
On 3/5/2017 at 8:48 PM, firegal2539 said:

It is expensive but it provides peace of mind.

Good morning, just reading this. Hubby has issues with hips and herniated disc (probably will have hip replacement after May cruise), He's pretty mobile but he was just asking me last night about a scooter. How expensive is it? Does your TA book it or you do? any info is so helpful! Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Good morning, just reading this. Hubby has issues with hips and herniated disc (probably will have hip replacement after May cruise), He's pretty mobile but he was just asking me last night about a scooter. How expensive is it? Does your TA book it or you do? any info is so helpful! Thank you!

Good morning BB,

Interesting you should ask. I have rented a three wheel scooter from Scootaround.com for my 2 week B2B this Month. It will be waiting for me in our cabin on embarkation and I just leave it there upon debarkation. Suppose to be small enough to stay in the room. Cost was $235.00 which I think is pretty reasonable since we'll be on the Allure and she is a BIG ship! Check out the website and give them a call, they were very friendly and informative. :27_sunglasses:

We have cruised many times with a powered wheelchair user. The user takes her own and also a light weight manual wheelchair.

If your cruise has tender ports I would advise to check with RC as not all tender port boats will take powered wheelchairs.

RC ships are generally very accessible inside. 

I have found that the doors on the average cabin are to small to get a wheelchair through but I have seen that many people park theres in the hallway yes it does cause a bit of a traffic jam at times but not that often I could see them causing a safety concern in emergency situations though I travel with my daughter occasionally who is wheelchair bound and have never had a problem except on the smaller ships with the very tight hallways I would suggest if you have questions that you call Royals access dept 866 592 7225 they have helped me many times in the past they have measurements for doors and have for me found accesable cabins when all other sources said there were none available also you will have to fill out a form describing the disability and special need you can list any special dietary needs ask about shore excursions etc for instance you can not use the tender boats where necessary to access ports unless the person in the wheelchair can transfer out of the chair to the tender which my daughter can not This dept has been a great help to me in the past and using them eliminates unpleasant suprises on your cruise

IMG_1721.JPG

3 hours ago, rjac said:

I have rented a three wheel scooter from Scootaround.com for my 2 week B2B this Month.

Thank you so much @rjac, that seems VERY reasonable for 2 weeks? I will try them. As I said, hubby is pretty mobile, he still walks our 2 Golden Retrievers! He's just in alot of pain when he gets back. So worth it! and on Grandeur we are in a Grand Suite, so should have plenty of room if need be. I assume no matter which port they will deliver? We're dealing with Baltimore, Cape Liberty and Miami in the next 8 months. Thank you again so much!!

32 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Baltimore, Cape Liberty and Miami

Baltimore & Cape Liberty, not sure if they service those ports. Pretty sure Miami is. Best to give them a call, toll free number. I ordered my scooter on Feb 2nd and received confirmation the same day. :27_sunglasses: