Beach time!

Jdaisy

We are going on our first cruise at the end of this month. We are going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. We would really like to spend as much time at the beach as possible and not have to pay the long dollar with the excursion packages to go to the beach. Since we've never been on a cruise and don't know what to expect, I am wondering if any one has any tips on how to lounge at the beaches. Is this even possible to do fairly inexpesively? THANKS!!

There are lots of good choices.

For Grand Cayman, try Royal Palms: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/09/08/excursion-focus-royal-palms-beach-club-grand-cayman

For Cozumel, try Paradise Beach: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/12/05/paradise-beach-guest-shore-excursion-review

For both beaches, just grab a taxi to get to/from there. Should be inexpensive.

I feel Grand Cayman is the most beautiful island we have seen. Also, it feels to be safest. With that said, it's probably the most expensive to visit. Now, if you just want to head to the beach and rent some chairs then it won't be too bad. But, if you expect to have a few drinks and maybe something to eat then look out. Which is the way we do a beach day so it adds up. The place is so beautiful that it makes higher prices seem to be more tolerable. In Cozumel, we do All inclusive beach day at Mr. Sanchos. Which is priced reasonably imo. There are a few beach breaks in Cozumel to choose from that sound similar and seem to get good reviews.

Don't make the mistake in Costa Maya that far too many people make.  Don't stay in the compound !!

To be fair, Costa Maya has one of the nicest compounds you will find in the Caribbean.  It is new, clean, big and has the big swimming pool and swim-up bar.  But if you choose to stay there you will never discover the beautiful beach at Mahahual and you will pay waaaytooo much for everything. 

Just grab a cab and drive the 7 minutes to Mahahual. We always go to the Krazy Lobster but there are plenty of other restaurants with the same amenities.  There are nice beach chairs, tables, loungers, hammocks with $1 Coronas and delicious food at a reasonable price.  It's not a luxury resort but if you want a nice day at the beach for literally nothing, that's a good way to do it.

They also have massages on the beach which are heavenly !  But beware !  If you decide you want a massage, arrange it yourself.  Do not allow someone else to arrange it for you or it will cost you double the price !  There are massage tables set up all along the beach.  They are easy to find.  Just approach one of them and tell them you want a massage but make sure you're talking to one of the masseurs...(they are usually female but I have seen a man or too on occasion).  We have ALWAYS paid $20 for an hour massage.  They will ask for more, but just tell them you always pay $20 and they will accept it...but if you do get a $20 massage, you should give a generous tip if you want to be fair.  That is an incredible price and it is worth EVERY penny.  I usually end up giving them an additional $10 so it comes out to pretty much what they ask for in the first place.

The single problem with Mahahual beach is the roving peddlers.  They are everywhere selling their trinkets.  They are not aggressive though.  Just politely tell them you are not interested and they will move on....but it's a constant onslaught.  I will freely admit that.

Costa Maya is one of my very favorite ports and one I actually continually look forward to visiting.  I cannot say that about all of the Caribbean ports.