Formal nights on Alaska cruises

ChanaC

I'm going on a seven night Alaska cruise this year. I believe this means we will have two formal nights. I've done Caribbean cruises before and usually wear a cocktail dress and heels. I'm trying to plan out what I will pack this time but I've heard conflicting things about formal nights on Alaska cruises. On one hand, I heard they are a lot like Caribbean cruises and people dress up. On the other, I heard things are a little more informal, since people are already packing bulkier items like jackets and boots and don't want to include nicer clothes, and since people will most likely be out all day exploring and will be a little more exhausted than on a Caribbean cruise and less likely to feel like getting dressed up. Then again, I heard these days that anything generally goes and lots of people on all sailings just don't dress up. What has everyone else's experiences been like? I'm thinking about just bringing a dress or two, or maybe a nice sweater to wear with slacks, but I also know there will already be a lot to pack. Also, most of my formal stuff isn't very warm and I don't know how interested I'll be in wearing a knee length dress on a cold night, especially since I'm not used to cold weather. 

What have been everyone else's experiences on Alaska cruises in the past? As a note, we are most likely also doing Wonderland one night, so I do think I might bring something a little nicer for that besides jeans.

Like any other Royal Caribbean cruise, some dress up and some not as much.  I don't believe you'd feel out of place either way.  Some like to do the specialty restaurants on formal nights simply to avoid the need they might feel to dressi up (as they are typically smart casual all of the time).

Enjoy your Alaskan cruise! We've done 3 and they are always fantastic.