Ship Capacity April, 2022

ks01824

there doesn't seem to be any fleetwide consensus.  people are posting numbers from recent cruises so we do have some data points hurts nothing to ask a crew member. my folks were just on oasis last week and she was at 2500 souls (out of 5500 double capacity).  the staffers here for the blog post their numbers when they sail and they've been similarly 50-60% of double capacity.  my folks and their group had a row of balcony cabins all adjoining on deck 8, booked that way on purpose to open the balcony dividers up for one big communal balcony type space but at the last minute royal mandated an empty cabin between them, spacing them out more and thus stopping the balcony setup.  Our TA also mentioned her opinion that lower, interior cabins are not being listed for sale until the ship hits a certain number and/or are being reserved for crew spacing/iso depending on the ship.

our spring break cruise on symphony has dozens of suites and hundreds of cabins still available, but we'll see where the dust settles after royal up, other upgrades and last minute bookings, but i certainly don't expect six thousand plus, but we'll see.  my folks also said the ship was sorely and obviously short handed in spots, they've never had worse MDR service and walked after the third night of their food being cold and drinks being empty.  so maybe plan on more my time dining or specialty dining, which they said was better.

2 hours ago, dr martini said:

my folks also said the ship was sorely and obviously short handed in spots, they've never had worse MDR service and walked after the third night of their food being cold and drinks being empty.  so maybe plan on more my time dining or specialty dining, which they said was better.

I had a waiter mad at me because I ordered the duck, and he expressly told me not to. I've always ordered duck on a cruise, because it's a true treat-I don't order it at home or make it.  Anyhow the duck was dry.  I didn't finish it.  The waiter couldn't stop talking about how "he told me".  I guess I shouldn't have ordered the soufflé either because it was undercooked.  That's just 2 anecdotes of that cruise.  Clearly things were "off".  I told the waiter I understood his concern and it would not reflect on that magic number TEN they all want on the survey.  (but I should have gone and talked to the head waiter to make my complaints known) Lots of new staff coming through needing to learn the ropes.  Now I will say, my cruise last month, EVERYTHING was spot on in the main dining room. (except that they had us all sitting within 2 feet of each other when there were plenty of empty tables)