VOOM 30% off

Drewmommy

The price of VOOM onboard the ship is $15 per day.  It's a savings to buy before you board, but you do have to pay for it now.  However you can use your OBC for something else; for example photo packages, shopping, specialty restaurants, spa services, and pretty much anything else that costs money while onboard.

It is a good problem to have when you have to decide what to pre-purchase and what to use OBC for, and occasionally we have have to make a decision to pay more for something on board. Fortunately the classic soda package never goes on sale so we can always count on $189 to $213 for gratuities and $120 for our two soda packages which usually leaves us enough to buy a few coffees or something from the gift shop. Other than that we try and pre-purchase internet, specialty restaurants, and excursions.

Is 30% off a good deal or do they have a C&A discount for Platinum members? Also, I'm a little confused about the 1 device or multiple devices options. If my husband and I both get 1 device each, we should be able to text each other while on board, right?

I believe that 30% off is better than the discount you'd see onboard. If you purchase in the Cruise Planner, and if you want to have both devices active at the same time, you can save a bit more by buying a 2-device package (rather than buying two 1-device packages).

With Wi-Fi onboard, you can send messages onboard if you use an internet-based messaging application like Apple's iMessage, Facebook Messenger, or Whatsapp. If your cellular provider provides "Wi-Fi Calling", you may be able to call and text for free as well. (Do note that you want to ensure that you have "Airplane Mode" enabled on your phone to prevent inadvertent cellular charges.)

Do note that Royal Caribbean is running a Black Friday/Cyber Monday special right now (good for another hour and a half) for some sailings. You can get their "Sip + Stream" offer which is their Deluxe Beverage Package and Voom Surf + Stream for a significantly discounted price over purchasing them separately. For my sailing in March, it's being offered for $49/day + gratuity (only on the beverage part of the package), total is about $56/day.

I believe that 30% off is better than the discount you'd see onboard. If you purchase in the Cruise Planner, and if you want to have both devices active at the same time, you can save a bit more by buying a 2-device package (rather than buying two 1-device packages).

With Wi-Fi onboard, you can send messages onboard if you use an internet-based messaging application like Apple's iMessage, Facebook Messenger, or Whatsapp. If your cellular provider provides "Wi-Fi Calling", you may be able to call and text for free as well. (Do note that you want to ensure that you have "Airplane Mode" enabled on your phone to prevent inadvertent cellular charges.)

Do note that Royal Caribbean is running a Black Friday/Cyber Monday special right now (good for another hour and a half) for some sailings. You can get their "Sip + Stream" offer which is their Deluxe Beverage Package and Voom Surf + Stream for a significantly discounted price over purchasing them separately. For my sailing in March, it's being offered for $49/day + gratuity (only on the beverage part of the package), total is about $56/day.

I didn't even think about the difference between the 2 separate 1 device packages vs 1 "2 device" package! Clever! I already purchased 2 separate 1 device packages, though :-( Does this mean my husband and I can be on two separate devices at the same time, right?

I didn't even think about the difference between the 2 separate 1 device packages vs 1 "2 device" package! Clever! I already purchased 2 separate 1 device packages, though :-( Does this mean my husband and I can be on two separate devices at the same time, right?

You're really only paying for connection rights.  2 "1 device plans" give you the same number of connections as 1 "2 device plan".  Think of it as more of a volume discount.  The 2-device plan will give you one code that is authorized for 2 devices (any device) to be logged on at the same time. 2 "1 device plans" would give you 2 separate codes that are each authorized to have one device logged in at a time.  You would save money by buying 1 "2-device plan" vs 2 "1 device plans".  You can probably cancel your 2 "1 device plans" and buy 1 "2 device plan"

However, if you're both wanting the drink package too I would get 2 "Sip + Stream" packages.

You're really only paying for connection rights. 2 "1 device plans" give you the same number of connections as 1 "2 device plan". Think of it as more of a volume discount. The 2-device plan will give you one code that is authorized for 2 devices (any device) to be logged on at the same time. 2 "1 device plans" would give you 2 separate codes that are each authorized to have one device logged in at a time. You would save money by buying 1 "2-device plan" vs 2 "1 device plans". You can probably cancel your 2 "1 device plans" and buy 1 "2 device plan"

Would this work if I purchase the 4 device plan but 2 out of the 4 devices belong to another cabin?

Would this work if I purchase the 4 device plan but 2 out of the 4 devices belong to another cabin?

yes, that should work just fine.  You would just have to give each person your code you get.  However keep in mind that (at least form my experience) once you have connected your device limit, then the next new device that tries to connect with the same code will kick the oldest connection off.  That "oldest" device can still connect back, it would just then kick the oldest connection at the time off again when it connected back.

On our last cruise, my wife and I just purchased the 1 device plan and just connected with whoever's phone, iPad, Laptop we wanted to at any given point, knowing that when we connected a device it would terminate the existing connection on another device.  We didn't need the internet for much, but since we left our toddler back home it was nice to have at least one phone connected (mine or hers) while we were out by the pool or whatever during the day.  Then in our cabin would use the iPad to facetime LO back home and stream a few netflix shows, and I had my laptop for a off chance that I would need to VPN to the office to take care of anything.

I actually have a Sky Class (internet included) on my next cruise.  When that Sip + Stream plan was offered (it was a savings for me just on the drink package part).  I called and asked them if I could "give" the internet connections from that package to my parents (another cabin) since my room rate already included internet.  They said that was fine and to just give them the codes I get when I get on board.

yes, that should work just fine. You would just have to give each person your code you get. However keep in mind that (at least form my experience) once you have connected your device limit, then the next new device that tries to connect with the same code will kick the oldest connection off. That "oldest" device can still connect back, it would just then kick the oldest connection at the time off again when it connected back.

On our last cruise, my wife and I just purchased the 1 device plan and just connected with whoever's phone, iPad, Laptop we wanted to at any given point, knowing that when we connected a device it would terminate the existing connection on another device. We didn't need the internet for much, but since we left our toddler back home it was nice to have at least one phone connected (mine or hers) while we were out by the pool or whatever during the day. Then in our cabin would use the iPad to facetime LO back home and stream a few netflix shows, and I had my laptop for a off chance that I would need to VPN to the office to take care of anything.

I actually have a Sky Class (internet included) on my next cruise. When that Sip + Stream plan was offered (it was a savings for me just on the drink package part). I called and asked them if I could "give" the internet connections from that package to my parents (another cabin) since my room rate already included internet. They said that was fine and to just give them the codes I get when I get on board.

Thank you!

Aside from the wifi plan, do they offer a business center with wired terminals and printers anywhere?  Kinda like most hotels have a few terminals for various things.

Yes, there are internet cafes with printers on the ship.  I've never used one so I'm not sure on the cost, but the are wired computer stations.