Cozumel Ferry

Buzzard05

I saw on another board that there are going to be at least five other ships in Cozumel on our port day.  They estimated over 21k people from all of the ships in port.

Given that there will be so many people in Cozumel that day, is it a bad idea to plan an excursion that uses the ferry over to Playa del Carmen  (such as one of the ruins tours)?  I don't know how many passengers those ferries can take (or how many ferries they actually have)...but with those numbers, it sounds like getting aboard a ferry to cross, might be a nightmare.

Anybody have any experience with these ferries and if this will be an issue with this many people?

Thanks

We have only done the mainland twice, both times the ship excursion had the ferry pull up to our dock and load there, similarly on the way back it was a dedicated ferry that came back to our dock rather than the regular ferry terminal.

In both cases we got back to the ship late (due to the tour operator insisting on a shopping trip that nobody else wanted to stop for).

I go back and forth between using ship excursions and self-booking, heading over to the mainland is one where I definitely believe in paying extra for the ship tour to get the "guarantee" of not being left behind ... (not technically a guarantee but at least they are less likely to pull away leaving a couple of hundred passengers on an RCI organized tour).

I agree with Matt. Five is a pretty normal load for the port. Even so, I'd only take a ferry excursion over to the mainland of it were a Royal excursion. The last two times we were in Cozumel, we were delayed waiting for the ship's your groups that were late because of the ferry being delayed from Plays del Carmen. I also just priced excursions through the ship in January, and they seemed pretty reasonable given the transportation involved.

Thank you for the replies...good information.

We are still up in the air about doing a tour that requires the ferry.  I have heard horror stories regarding the comfort of that ride, and my wife tends to get motion sickness...so not sure we will be venturing over or not (my kids want to go see the ruins, and I kinda do too...but not at the expense of my wife or all of us feeling awful for the day).

We are still up in the air about doing a tour that requires the ferry.  I have heard horror stories regarding the comfort of that ride, and my wife tends to get motion sickness...so not sure we will be venturing over or not (my kids want to go see the ruins, and I kinda do too...but not at the expense of my wife or all of us feeling awful for the day).

If you want to see them, offer to take the kids with you and leave your wife onboard for a spa day.  She may enjoy that.

My wife often keeps the kids onboard while I go wander around the ports by myself, or my son and I take off and leave her and my daughter on board for 'girl time'.  Everyone seems to enjoy it.  It just depends on your family situation.

• 3 weeks later...