TURKEY

fonemanbob

We will be on Brilliance of the Seas on Sep.23,2016.  We are sailing out of Barcelona, Spain and one of our stops  will be in Ephesus ( Kusadasi ) Turkey.    A couple of weeks ago they decided  not to stop there due to the turmoil going on  but as of this weeks cruise and our cruise I wonder if they will be still stopping there.

I'm confident that all cruise lines value the safety of customers, or they have none.  It's simple business.

Keep in mind that while US travel advisories are good to be aware of, you'll note there are also travel advisories for Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Honduras, Colombia, and many other places that Americans (including US based cruise lines) frequently travel.  These advisories are there to ensure people know what's going on, provide for certain protocols for local embassies, and generally, provide the same advice that is prudent to follow anytime one travels anywhere.  They are also frequently specific to certain regions.  For example, the Turkey warning specifically advises American's to avoid travel to the SE of the country.  Kusadasi is on the central west coast, the better part of 1k miles from the SE side.  

It is not uncommon for other countries to issue travel advisories to the US.  Currently, Bahrain, The Bahamas, and the UAE have bulletins cautioning citizens who may be traveling to the US.  Again, these type of warnings are just to keep people aware of global circumstances, they are not indicitive  of imminent danger to the general public.

As you note, you have the choice to stay on board, and I think it's always important to watch our for your own safety.  I sincerely hope your sailing is enjoyable regardless of any global politics.

Just a view from a guy who has been there: Don't let recent political events, actions by terrorists, or an unfamiliar culture influence your opinion of something you have never seen for yourself before. Turkey is an absolute gorgeous and wonderful country. It deserves none of the bad press it has received.

The port you are sailing to, Kudasi, is picturesque and drop-dead gorgeous. The view from the ship is really something (and only to be outdone by your stop in Malta).

The ancient town of Ephesus is a long way from the streets of Istanbul and I would give a second thought to visiting it. Whether you go for religious reasons to walk in the steps of John and Paul or to see Marys house or you are a lover of architecture; a day spent in Ephesus is well worth it! You will have spent too much money and traveled too far not to take the few extra steps to see it. Do yourself a favor...

I wouldn't single out Turkey because it is a Muslim country. There are other stops on your cruise that have seen similiar recent events, the same as what you have read about in Istanbul. Don't let the separatist movement in Barcelona stop you from visiting Sagrada Familia, the public demonstrations decrying the bankrupt country of Greece keep you away from seeing the Acropolis in Athens, the homeless Syrian refugees from exploring Santorini, or as you will find at any of your stops in Italy; that Italy is open like a 7-11 and has very little in terms of security, policing, or who comes and goes.

I'm not sure if you have a direct flight in/out of Barcelona (a port which is also open like a 7-11 BTW) but if you layover at the Frankfurt airport, take a train in London, or walk down a street in Paris (all popular stop overs for US flights)--those have also been terrorist bombed too.

After your trip is over, perhaps on that long flight home; I'd like to hear about your trip! Warts and all. Would you mind getting back to us with a report?

Its all about the bottom line.  Like I stated RC is the only cruise line still going to Turkey.  Istanbul is a full days drive by car and minutes by missile. A day at sea generates huge bar tabs.   Having people I know  in the intell  community helps.    There is a lot more going on out there than you can possibly  imagine.   I am looking out for RC and its crew and passengers.   I know that they are as well. And appreciate the feedback.

This would suggest, then, that port intensive itineraries should not be offered since it hurts the bottom line.  I just returned from a cruise where the shops were closed the last three days of the cruise because of the itinerary. Also, keep in mind that there is revenue lost while the ship is at sea.  Not only is the cruise line not able to offer shore excursions, there are more costs as more food is being consumed on the ship, more power is being utilized by guests, and more entertainment/activities need to be provided.

• 2 weeks later...

Monorailmedic and Bobroo hit the nail on the head.  Looking back on our 12 day Med cruise several years ago I would say Turkey was one of the highlights of our cruise.  We went to Istanbul (2 days) and Kusadasi.  The ruins at Ephesus and all the sites in Istanbul should be on every ones  bucket list.  I could go on and on about the wonderful things we experienced in Turkey but it would take days.  Don't hesitate to see all you can see while you are there.  If you have any questions don' t be afraid to ask I will be more than happy to help but most of all have fun and enjoy yourself....Mike