Anyone familiar with the port in Victoria, BC?

atmuma

We have nothing planned when we stop in Victoria, thought we'd just walk around.  What I'm curious about it when you get off the ship how far is it to get into town?  Is it right there/walkable or is it far away?  If it's not walkable, what are the options to get into town?  And would a walk around town be fun to do?

Thanks!!

We loved Victoria.  Amazingly beautiful place.

When you get off the ship you'll find about a 5 min walk (maybe less) to get onto the road.  You'll be at a giant sundial (Ogden Point).  To your right is a neat rocky beach/cove which is very picturesque in the morning.  If you walk left (north) and stay on the road, you'll be walking past some residences and after about 1km (2/3 mile) see Fisherman's Wharf.  It's hard to miss, but if you have any doubt you'll find many locals walking docs and such - everyone is incredibly friendly.  I'm sure you could get a car for this walk, but it's an easy and very pretty walk through a not at all touristy area, so we liked it.

Once at Fisherman's Wharf, walk around, as it's full of houseboats turned B&Bs, restaurants, etc.  Just a neat little area.  From there, you can take a water taxi to the harbor for around $5/pp (the area with the Empress hotel, visitors bureau, many shops and restaurants, etc).  This is likely where you'll want to spend much of your day.  The visitor's center is awesome, and they'll help you get to the gardens, or anything else you're looking for.  Plenty to do there, and I'd also recommend a place we check out, Vista-18 atop Chateau Victoria.  Great views, drinks, and snacks.

I could go on about Victoria for some time, it's really a great place.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

I loved Victoria. On the Main Street, several years ago, was a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Store. The team that ran it will talk your ear off about the RCMP and it's history.

Remember to look up in the very tall pine trees, I saw many bald eagles when I was there.

Thanks guys, very helpful! One more question. Is the American dollar accepted or will I need to exchange currency?

It is, but you'll likely receive change in CAD.  Credit cards are also widely accepted, just be aware that some cards--not all--charge a foreign transaction fee up to 3-5% depending on the bank.

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Jo Tyler said:

How long does it take to get off the ship when it stops in Victoria and time do you need to be at the ship?

1. What do you mean?  It takes the same time to get off the ship as it does in any other port except for your port of debarkation.  We took the elevator down to Deck 5, and walked down to Deck 3 Gangway and were off of the ship in 15 minutes or less.  

2. Time to get back to the ship depends upon your itinerary and the Captain.  We had to be back on board by 5:00 pm even though the Compass said 5:30.  Pretty sure the ship still left at 5:30.  

3 hours ago, Jo Tyler said:

How long does it take to get off the ship when it stops in Victoria and time do you need to be at the ship?

Welcome to the boards! It will depend on your specific cruise. If your cruise itinerary shows the time you will be in port, expect all aboard to be 30 minutes prior to the stated departure time. 

• 2 months later...