burden of proof?

My wife usually likes to take some nice jewelry on our cruises. On the return going through customs and the agent ask about the rings on her fingers, is the burden of proof on my wife to show where and when she purchased them or on customs to show if she just purchased them on the cruise?  This has never happened on any of our cruises  but after seeing the discussion on Rolex watches this has got me to wondering.

Had the same thing happen to us on a 3 day to Bahamas.  Agent asked if we bought any jewelry, we didn't so we said no.  He then pointed out my wife's necklace and looking new. I told him we take care of our stuff.  Don't think he liked the answer but let us go by anyway.  The only thing we (I) buy is rum when we go to the virgin islands.  We never buy any jewelry or anything expensive.   That is the only time we were ever asked. 

I do t actually know the answer, but I would think the burden would be on Customs. However, to avoid issues in the future, you might want to have a look at this article: http://wikitravel.org/en/Proof_of_what_you_already_own

Thanks Doc,  we may have already waited too long since we leave for our Baltics cruise June 11th. She may have to forgo taking her nicer stuff this time.

Had the same thing happen to us on a 3 day to Bahamas.  Agent asked if we bought any jewelry, we didn't so we said no.  He then pointed out my wife's necklace and looking new. I told him we take care of our stuff.  Don't think he liked the answer but let us go by anyway.  The only thing we (I) buy is rum when we go to the virgin islands.  We never buy any jewelry or anything expensive.   That is the only time we were ever asked. 

Thanks....not sure we want to take a chance with her nicer jewelry

Thanks Doc,  we may have already waited too long since we leave for our Baltics cruise June 11th. She may have to forgo taking her nicer stuff this time.

Take pictures of the jewelry with a newspaper with the current date.  It may look like a "proof of life" photo for a ransom demand, but it should satisfy the Customs officers when you return if you can show that you had it before leaving.  There's also the possibility of an office at the airport you're leaving from, too.

During my last cruise, I didn't buy any souvenirs, so I declared $0.00 on my customs form. The agent seemed to doubt of my honesty and questioned me a bit, but when I said "I chose to drink my expenses onboard instead of buying souvenirs," he seemed satisfied enough to let me go.

I seem to recall that on a previous cruise, the CBP agent noticed my Citizen watch and asked whether I had purchased it onboard. I explained that I had purchased it during a prior cruise the year before. That satisfied him.

The proof is on you and not on customs. You need to be able to prove that you did not purchase on the trip if asked. But as I have said before customs officers are very smart, they can tell the difference between old and brand new jewelry.  And even if the line officer cannot they have experts who can. You can use sales slips, photos, appraisals, insurance paperwork all to prove purchases.  But many times the officers really do not need proof they just need to ask the questions and based upon training and years of handling people they will know by your reply.

The best thing you can do with customs is be 100% honest. And if they do make a error and charge you for a old item, you can apply for and get a refund.

Take pictures of the jewelry with a newspaper with the current date.  It may look like a "proof of life" photo for a ransom demand, but it should satisfy the Customs officers when you return if you can show that you had it before leaving.  There's also the possibility of an office at the airport you're leaving from, too.

Great idea Doc!   Leaving on Air France out of Atlanta so I m checking to see what they have!

My wife usually likes to take some nice jewelry on our cruises. On the return going through customs and the agent ask about the rings on her fingers, is the burden of proof on my wife to show where and when she purchased them or on customs to show if she just purchased them on the cruise?  This has never happened on any of our cruises  but after seeing the discussion on Rolex watches this has got me to wondering.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/427/kw/cruise%20renter%20jewelry%20aim%20wearing%20burden%20proof%20purchased%20outside

Mike- I don't know about all this craziness surrounding the "burden of proof" and customs. Unless your wife has the Hope Diamond or the Godfathers pinky ring on her fingers I do not think you need to over think this at all. I can tell you my wife walks on and off the ship wearing 3 Cartier Love bracelets (yellow, rose and white gold) a diamond ring that would blind you + Gold Rolex and gold + Platinum necklaces from Tiffany up the wazoo and has never ever once been asked a single question by customs. We go on cruises quite a bit since we live next to the Port. I just don't think you need to prove anything and at the end of the day if your telling the truth about the jewlery's origin than no harm no foul.

Mike- I don't know about all this craziness surrounding the "burden of proof" and customs. Unless your wife has the Hope Diamond or the Godfathers pinky ring on her fingers I do not think you need to over think this at all. I can tell you my wife walks on and off the ship wearing 3 Cartier Love bracelets (yellow, rose and white gold) a diamond ring that would blind you + Gold Rolex and gold + Platinum necklaces from Tiffany up the wazoo and has never ever once been asked a single question by customs. We go on cruises quite a bit since we live next to the Port. I just don't think you need to prove anything and at the end of the day if your telling the truth about the jewlery's origin than no harm no foul.

Thanks Tony....you might be right and I m just getting worked up over nothing!  I guess your a Noles fan so Go Noles!...Mike