It's official

Kata

This is the email I received from Royal, after they cancelled my cruise:

Dear Guest,

We’re sure you’ve been monitoring the news regarding COVID-19. This situation remains quite fluid, and we all continue to assess the impact and monitor the number of cases around the world. And while there are still a lot of unknowns related to COVID-19, we do know it presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious underlying medical conditions.

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our top priority. As a result, we are suspending operations for sailings that depart from US ports (including Puerto Rico) effective at midnight tonight, March 14th. Regrettably, we will need to cancel your upcoming Anthem of the Seas April 5, 2020 cruise. Our goal is to resume operation on April 11th, 2020.

Knowing this situation is ever-changing, we want to provide you with some options. As we know, this too shall pass, and we are optimistic that very soon you’ll be excited about planning your next cruise vacation. As always, the most important thing to us will always be the safety of both our guests and crew. In the meantime, we’ll continue to monitor the global situation. And, when it’s determined that the time is right, we’ll be ready to welcome you back.

@Kata OMG Norwegian Air-us too! I got an email from them yesterday and I was excited that our flight was being canceled, but instead it was just telling me they are cleaning their planes better.

We have two policies on our air. Neither will pay. No one is sick enough to cancel; but we are too "old" 75 and both have chronic but controlled illnesses and can't go. None of our doctors would tell us it is okay to cruise at this point, to disembark in the UK which is full of the virus, get in a crowded plane and  fly 10 hours from UK.  Insurance doesn't cover that. We also have NAir cancellation protection.  It pays if you "fall sick" and cannot travel on the day of the flight. However It will only pay if we cancel first and then file a claim. However neither of us is acutely ill and  too sick to travel. If we cancel then we can't reschedule. So unless NA cancels our flight we are out that money too.

I find it hard to believe that RCCL has not canceled our cruise. I think it is irresponsible to take people 6 days across the Atlantic without access to a hospital,  to port in the UK where the virus is rampant and, unless things have changed today, they are doing nothing to contain it other than tell people to wash hands and they have canceled a few sporting events. In effect, we are being forced to take a future cruise credit instead of a refund.

3 hours ago, Mljstr said:

In effect, we are being forced to take a future cruise credit instead of a refund

Ride it out...they may just push back this 30 day blackout to definitely include your cruise and if so, you'll get the refund option too.  You'll still be able to cancel 48 hours for the same FCC that you would get for canceling now...might as well wait.

This is a very fluid situation that changes by the day (sometimes by the hour). What is true now will change by tomorrow or next week, and change again, and again. All we can do is do our part in avoiding the spread of the virus and get through this one day at a time.

There’s still a 48 hour cancellation policy in effect.  Things could improve.  Patience is the best strategy right now.  We sail on Adventure Of The Seas on May 30th (77 days).  We could cancel now and book something for later this year or 2021, or wait and see if the 125% offer extends past April, but we really want this cruise so are trying to be patient as keep options open so we make the best possible choices. 

It’s not easy and not as fun as preparing for a cruise should be but in the words of a local football coach “It is, what it is”.