betatke1480

The One with the In-Laws - Oasis Star Class - 2/23/2020

8 hours ago, betatke1480 said:

We only saw Smitha once today

Might be worthwhile to mention this on the post cruise survey.  Not a knock against Smitha, but the fact the Genies on Oasis seem to be spread too thin.  This seems like the common consensus among the other SC people sailing with you this week who have the other Genies. 

46 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Might be worthwhile to mention this on the post cruise survey.  Not a knock against Smitha, but the fact the Genies on Oasis seem to be spread too thin.  This seems like the common consensus among the other SC people sailing with you this week who have the other Genies. 

Yeah, everything has been taken care of, and when we send her an email it's handled quickly.  But as you remember from Anthem, Shane was literally everywhere, so it's quite a big change.  I'm sure some of it is the physical distance between SC rooms, and that they don't seem to have grouped the genies geographically as @twangster alluded to earlier.  I would think they would give one Genie ATS, one the UPS, and then two on Deck 17 or something similar.  Instead I know the we have Smitha, and Izzy has the room below us and one across the way.  I have no idea what other rooms Smitha has, but I'm sure she's putting in a lot of miles.  

16 minutes ago, betatke1480 said:

But as you remember from Anthem, Shane was literally everywhere, so it's quite a big change.

Araceli was everywhere too.  And that was on Harmony.  You would never have guessed that she had other families.  From what I've been hearing this week from you and others, I have a feeling she is going to hard to replace, just like Shane.

I agree with Twangster, that a great deal of her “rare in-person-appearance” is probably due to the location of the ATS.  I have noticed a distinct reduction of in-person Genie visits when we have been in ATS.  Should you be penalized b/c you are so far away ?  Of course not but in practicality, it’s a long haul all the way back there.  ...and there are 6 such SC suites on the O class.  That’s a lot of hiking. But I will say, even when the Genie missed us in the suite, he would find us at least twice during the evenings when we were out. It kind of evens out.

To be honest, Dan hates the Genie interruptions so he’s just as glad when they don’t just “pop by”.

39 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I agree with Twangster, that a great deal of her “rare in-person-appearance” is probably due to the location of the ATS.

Interesting theory.  I wonder if @Tiffeven found this to be the case on Allure too?  I still have it feeling it is Genie dependent.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Interesting theory.  I wonder if @Tiffeven found this to be the case on Allure too?  I still have it feeling it is Genie dependent.

Why wouldn’t they just divide up the suites more efficiently. There’s no reason the Aquatheater suites should go to multiple genies that also have suites up on higher decks. 

So far today has been pretty lazy. Just been loafing around the ship. Breakfast was in the room, then V was off to AO and Abby and I just wandered. Stopped in for trivia in the schooner. Watched some woman who was double-fisting ice creams cones berate a bar manager on the pool deck for making people stand in line at one ice cream machine when there were four on the deck. I can’t understand how you can get that angry on a cruise ship. 

Lunch was in Johnny Rockets and the. Some games on the boardwalk before it was up to the escape room. 

I live escape rooms, and this one was very fun. We made it with 17 minutes left and got our patches. I would do this one again even and make sure I focused on different puzzles. 

We came back to the room and had cold food and melted drinks. Seems silly since we were obviously in the escape room. Oh well, I can ice down my tequila shot. 

Talking with Smitha before the escape room and she confirmed that next week she has one ATS, one UPS Deck 14 forward, and two on deck 17. That just seems like too much running. I’d think they would split that up much better. 

Tonight is Izumi Hibachi for FIL’s birthday. 

And @Lovetocruise2002, not sure whose hands these are on your window. 🤣

E2F3AF6D-306D-4443-B1DF-972358B1B888.thumb.jpeg.0194f4af50a2cf182b7a125fb50ff8a7.jpeg

78D2DD5B-32E0-47EE-BE17-18E2A0877254.jpeg

One thing I forgot to mention that we’ve found interesting is that the AO staff is responsible for monitoring Splashaway Bay. There is not any standing water, so no drowning risk. We just thought it interesting from a profit center point of view that it’s a “pool” but not under lifeguard purview. 

We have also noticed more uniformed security than on any other sailing we’ve done. 

31 minutes ago, betatke1480 said:

Talking with Smitha before the escape room and she confirmed that next week she has one ATS, one UPS Deck 14 forward, and two on deck 17. That just seems like too much running. I’d think they would split that up much better. 

That still sounds ludicrous. There’s 6 ATS’s. Seems like the best bet would be to give one genie the port side ones, another genie the starboard ones and each of those two gets the matching side UPS. 

31 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

That still sounds ludicrous. There’s 6 ATS’s. Seems like the best bet would be to give one genie the port side ones, another genie the starboard ones and each of those two gets the matching side UPS. 

So...each ship has a different system, but I know from a Genie that it is usually not divided up by location, it goes by numbers of potential guests.  This is why on most Oasis class ships, you will find each Genie with at least one set of ATS.  It makes it fair number-wise.  The deck 17 suites hold less people so it would not be fair if one person only had Deck 17 suites.  HM and SY which has the Villa, that Genie usually takes one less and they definitely would not get an ATS.  This is what was explained to me in the past. 

If Oasis only kept 3 Genies, then that is wrong on Royal to stretch them thin.  100% on Royal.  However, I think there are still 4 on this week.  I'm not sure I buy the "location" excuse of not being around much.  Even if the ATS is far away, it's not that far.  And they can still find you in other areas of the ship.  They have ways to find you.

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I tend to agree with you that it is genie dependent as we spent less than 5 minutes a day with our genie on Anthem while the other 2 genies were very visible and “present” for their families. Another one of those star class inconsistencies I guess. 

I have stayed in both the 2BATS and the Royal loft on deck 17 on Allure and we had different genies for both and I don’t feel we saw our genie anymore in the RLS than we did in the ATS. I felt I had way better service, room steward and food delivery on deck 17 but I’m not sure if that was genie related or room related. 

11 minutes ago, amanuel2992 said:

I felt I had way better service, room steward and food delivery on deck 17 but I’m not sure if that was genie related or room related. 

That is definitely room location related! 

The loft attendants are in a class of their own.  Not just anyone can become a loft attendant.  I was told that by several crew members over the years.  And proximity to CK helps with food delivery on Deck 17.  

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So...each ship has a different system, but I know from a Genie that it is usually not divided up by location, it goes by numbers of potential guests.  This is why on most Oasis class ships, you will find each Genie with at least one set of ATS.  It makes it fair number-wise.  The deck 17 suites hold less people so it would not be fair if one person only had Deck 17 suites.  HM and SY which has the Villa, that Genie usually takes one less and they definitely would not get an ATS.  This is what was explained to me in the past. 

If Oasis only kept 3 Genies, then that is wrong on Royal to stretch them thin.  100% on Royal.  However, I think there are still 4 on this week.  I'm not sure I buy the "location" excuse of not being around much.  Even if the ATS is far away, it's not that far.  And they can still find you in other areas of the ship.  They have ways to find you.

Then what do you chalk it up to? It sounds like Smitha is a good genie, but clearly not around. Just taking it at face value, I don’t think @betatke1480 is high maintenance so she’s not actively avoiding him. Also, it seems genies are also forthcoming to guests who may get the short end of the stick, when they have very visible VIP suites. 

Just now, Andrew72681 said:

That sounds ominous for them. That means by November when I’m in those rooms I’ll seem like a peach 🍑 

Says the guy who has been adding to that Genie list for months on end now. 😁 
And I don’t know about @betatke1480 being low maintenance, have you heard the search for the pretzels stories? 😂 Kidding, after having cruise with @betatke1480, I can safely say that they are pretty awesome!

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

And I don’t know about @betatke1480 being low maintenance, have you heard the search for the pretzels stories? 😂 Kidding, after having cruise with @betatke1480, I can safely say that they are pretty awesome!

I’m low maintenance. It’s the little princess that can be an issue. 🤣

It’s definitely been an interesting contrast from Shane. No request has gone unanswered, and basically any change or request we’ve made has been handled. I know that if we speak up about something, it will be taken care of quickly. 

I would say that we’ve had a “standard” Genie experience. Nothing has felt above or beyond, but I don’t feel like we are not getting our value, if that makes sense. 

I’m sure part of Shane’s success was that it was part of the GC, but I also think he is an “special memories” kind of guy. 

Separately we sent out laundry Tuesday morning and still haven’t had it delivered. Our cabin steward did tell us it was ready and she could bring it tonight if we needed it, but we were used to getting back in about 12-24 hours on Anthem. 

14 minutes ago, betatke1480 said:

Separately we sent out laundry Tuesday morning and still haven’t had it delivered. Our cabin steward did tell us it was ready and she could bring it tonight if we needed it, but we were used to getting back in about 12-24 hours on Anthem. 

That I feel is highly unusual. On both Anthem and Symphony I recall either same day or at the latest next morning service/delivery. Also want to say the cabin steward is the one responsible for bringing back laundry. 

I do remember our cabin steward calling and running to drop off laundry on Symphony when we had waited until late in the morning to send it. Still got it back that evening.

50 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think I’m with the genie on the pretzel thing. That windjammer pretzel bread has always been way too hard for my liking. Nowhere near a soft pretzel. 

11 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I also am going with the genie dependent theory.  The location of the A1s and A2s may have an impact, but I think who your genie is plays a greater role.  Alan came by our suite way more often than Jay did.  Although I liked Jay, Alan seemed to have a closer relationship with not just us but all of his Star Class guests.  This came from him making the time to stop by and get to know us.  I know all of the genies stay busy, but some of them seem to balance the varying needs of their guests better than others.

I really enjoy reading all the Genie related live blogs in hopes to some day be in that category.  I must admit though, you all have me a bit concerned that the service isn't what it used to be!  We are a very low maintenance family, so our first experience would probably knock our socks off no matter how good or bad it is.

12 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

I think I’m with the genie on the pretzel thing. That windjammer pretzel bread has always been way too hard for my liking. Nowhere near a soft pretzel. 

I still think the genie is looking for 🥨. If someone said to me that they wanted a soft pretzel, that's what I'd be thinking of.

Now I want a pretzel, with salt and cheese dip.