Empress of the Seas... first two sailings "Sold Out"...

Actually, it's 3 sailings.  April 16, 25 and 30...or was April 16 one of the original 6 ?  I can't remember.

I am skeptical that they are truly sold out.  I hope I'm wrong...but if they are cancelling 3 MORE cruises, they are going to have an absolute riot on their hands.  Luckily I'm not supposed to sail until May 23 but this is not a good trend.

UGH

Actually, it's 3 sailings.  April 16, 25 and 30...or was April 16 one of the original 6 ?  I can't remember.

I am skeptical that they are truly sold out.  I hope I'm wrong...but if they are cancelling 3 MORE cruises, they are going to have an absolute riot on their hands.  Luckily I'm not supposed to sail until May 23 but this is not a good trend.

UGH

I think April 16 was one of the original six - Definitely crossing my fingers that this doesn't turn in to another nightmare for a lot of people. 

I am on the May 14 sailing. I am upset about further cancellations and had my TA call them. RCCL said all April cruises are cancelled. The May 9th cruise is sailing. This is just one rep from RCCL speaking, don't know if it is true or not.

Ugh. I was afraid of this. Wow, are there going to be some pissed off people if it's true !

What I am worried about is RCCL has stated that Empress would be the Cuba ship. I am wondering if the reason they are cancelling is to send her to Cuba. NCL got their permission to sail there and will start in May and me thinks Royal will do the same. A small ship with a lot less passengers to piss off when they cancel all of those cruises.

I'm hoping they still do the overnight cruises to Cozumel.  My wife has some work-related stuff that she can't get out of otherwise we'd be doing the one in late May.  I want to do that cruise so we can make the long trek to Chichen Itza and still be able to enjoy Cozumel in the evening and the next day.  If Empress goes Cuba-only I'll be quite sad.

I'm hoping they still do the overnight cruises to Cozumel.  My wife has some work-related stuff that she can't get out of otherwise we'd be doing the one in late May.  I want to do that cruise so we can make the long trek to Chichen Itza and still be able to enjoy Cozumel in the evening and the next day.  If Empress goes Cuba-only I'll be quite sad.

I agree with this - I think an overnight in Cozumel would be amazing. 

I saw Chichen Itza many years ago while staying in Cancun - it's a gorgeous area. I hope you're able to make it over there!

I just read on Jim Walker's site (he is a huge maritime attorney), in fact he is suing RCCL right now, that Empress of the Seas on August 16, 2016 will be home based in Havana Cuba. Has anyone else heard this? It was on his website.

Candie

When isn't he suing one of the cruise lines?

I think this was part of his April Fool's joke.  I don't think the Empress is going to be homeported in Cuba.

I recall reading this as well - it was one of those where nobody really got the joke...

I don't believe that it is a case of "waiting for Cuba"... something is wrong with her.

Yes, I do believe that Cuba is the primary reason they brought Empress back from Pullmantur.  I also know that a ship like that costs money every minute just existing.  Crew, fuel, the constant maintenance needed by a large chunk of steel sitting in a salt water bath, the operational dollars are big.  Even bigger when you're not hauling people around for a fee.  

She's costing them big time sitting idle, they wouldn't be doing it if she was able to sail.

I have been on the CDC's website many times but forgot that they do the cruise ship inspections along with the Coast Guard, I believe. It is really mind boggling to look at the site, all of the norovirus outbreaks and the reports when they inspection a ship. It is really interesting in a way.

PRC, you sure have sailed alot, do you want to adopt me? I'm from Texas too!

I've been on a cruise but it's been a LONG time ago. Like 15 years haha but if there's anything I do, it's prepare. I'll have our passports and such for sure and I'll be at the "dock" as early as possible. I loathe being late! haha

Looks like you have it all together....good luck and remember you can never have too much fun..

Looks like all the cruises in May are now also sold out or more likely blacked out as they still have issues with the ship. For those who have booked on board in May I really hope the ship will be sailing those cruises but, I believe they will go the way of the April Cruises. But it does bring up a interesting question, if the ship was really as bad as it now seems, why was Royal even using this ship in the fleet?  The parent group RCCL had to know the product they were selling under the other cruise line they owned was not up to standards. If they are willing to cruise a sub standard ship in that line what makes anyone believe they would not do the same in the Royal line?

Royal needs to come clean over this situation or I believe the PR hit will be much larger than they think. White Star Lines had many great ships, set records, and operated on top for a long time. But today must people just remember that line for the RMS Titanic.

"Coming clean" is not one of Royal Caribbean's strong suits.  I'm not going to hold my breath.

I do know this...if they cancel a second time on me I will NOT be rebooking this ship again.  They will have a tiger by the tail if they try the same crap they did the last time (from me, at least !) - only allowing rebooking on the Empress or Majesty.