Room Upgrades?

Hello!

First time cruiser on the Oasis March 1st. I feel like I am doing a decent amount of research in terms of what to do and not do but still a bit worried, so I will probably be posting on these boards a few times this month. My first question: do cruises offer free room upgrades at check-in the same way a hotel might? We booked a basic interior room with the thought process that we won't be spending a ton of time in there, but I was just curious if this happens on cruises as well. Thank you. -Matt

5 minutes ago, Matt Mullen said:

do cruises offer free room upgrades at check-in the same way a hotel might

They no longer do this.  They even have signs up at Guest Services on the first day that state there are no upgrades available on the last few cruises I've been on.  I guess it was a thing at one time where you could request to be upgraded if someone canceled or no-showed, but it seems like it no longer happens.

They do have a program called RoyalUp where you can bid on room upgrades that may give you a chance at a better room at a discounted price compared to upgrading yourself.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/topics/royalup-stateroom-upgrade-program

They used to offer this..now they only do it if your willing to pay more and bid against hundreds of others trying to do the same thing. 

As for the interior room, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll spend so little time in your room that its not worth the price of another cruise or more to upgrade to a window...imho!

Matt- we are in the same cruise March 1-8.... we have a party of 12 and just barely found rooms. Looks like it is a full ship. I would check back with your travel agent to see if there were cancellations. We have an ocean view (it’s not really an ocean view as it is a ground floor view of the helipad!) but everyone else in our party has interiors. We received an option to bid on upgrades if anything was cancelled but we have not heard back yet. Interior rooms did not receive the bid option. 

Just wanted to let you know. (Sorry was prob not very helpful!)

I am also on that sailing.  I am in a GS and received several offers to bid on other rooms.  All suites are showing (and have been showing since the day before I got the offer to bid) as sold out.  I have read on another message board that many people on this sailing, and the ones immediately before and after, who were booked in Junior Suites got emails saying that Royal had overbooked Junior suites on those sailings and asking if they would accept an ocean view balcony with a reduced price.  I would guess that this situation will impact any available upgrades.  I will be interested to see how it all plays out.  I bid on a couple of options, but I am very happy with my current cabin, so whatever happens, I will be happy.

• 2 years later...