Pricing goes up and down...

I know prices go up and down based on supply and demand. 

Has anyone priced the same cruise (say, a 7-day Eastern Carib), for each week and seen how the cruise prices change throughout the year?

We usually cruise in February (school vacation, and it's cold here).  However, I looked at a cruise for the family for the end of June (School's out) figuring the demand wouldn't be too intense because the weather in the US is warm almost everywhere.  To my surprise, the end of same cruise (same stops/days) was much more expensive that one in the middle of (frozen!) February.

Anyone ever done some research and looked into this?

Thanks!

One way around this problem is to look at Royal on a World scale. What is peak high season in the United States is low or off season in other parts of the World. So if you think on a Global view you can get some get deals. Also look at ports that you leave from, since many here seem to cruise the Caribbean that is a good example. Pricing from Miami seems to be much higher than trips starting in PR.  It is all about looking and learning the different systems in place.

And while I may not have deep knowledge on some ports or cruises, I always know that posting on this site results in some great information. Not all great, sometimes things are wrong but overall our fellow members can really help and save you  lots of time.   

I have tracked "regularly" the pricing on each cruise I have booked over the last few years.

On the ones from years ago there was a steady upward trend but if you watched closely there were good deals to be had when different sales would kick off and I would say I probably repriced once or twice on each cruise I took.

Since the BOGO "deal" kicked off 2 years ago every cruise I have booked/tracked (approx. 6 I would guess) has trended steadily up, on occasion when the terms of the BOGO have switched from one "deal" to a different one  I have seen a decline but typically on the order of $10, haven't repriced a single RCI cruise since BOGO began except for the the first week of the first BOGO when every cruise I had a deposit on was significantly cheaper before RCI caught on that you raise the price and then offer the special to make it look like a deal when it really isn't.

With that said there definitely is seasonality where cruises in summer start at a higher price than cruises at other times of the year and now RCI has caught on to holiday prices (Thanksgiving just got added to the list this year, may be the end of the RCI thanksgiving cruise tradition for my family) and starts the holiday cruises off at the outrageous price level instead of letting it build up to that level based on bookings.

If you are a Royal Caribbean Blog Insider, yes you can!

If you are not an Insider, you can learn more about joining right here: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/support

I'm sorry for a dumb question Matt...but what is a RC Blog Insider?  And what do I have to do to become one. 

(I didn't understand the page you linked me to...)

:-(

I'm sorry for a dumb question Matt...but what is a RC Blog Insider?  And what do I have to do to become one. 

Insiders are those who help support the blog. Think of it like public radio or television where the viewers help support the content being provided. You can be an Insider for as little as $1 per month, but if you sign up to give more you receive additional perks and benefits (e.g., clothing, cohost the podcast, etc.). This is a strategy many content providers are using instead of blanketing the site with advertising. It also provides resources necessary to improve the blog and to add new features.

I hope Doc's answer made sense. It's essentially a means of folks donating to the blog on a monthly basis.