jonnie rocks

Royal mostly markets themselves to families.  If you are looking for a Royal cruise that will have less children, you'll want to book during the school year (and away from holidays where parents might take their kids out a week before or after).  Also, think about which itineraries are less kid friendly.  In my opinion, families are much more likely to take their kids on cruises to the Caribbean due to the beaches and water park at Coco Cay.  Cruises to Alaska, Norwegian Fjords, Canada, and maybe some of the European itineraries will probably have fewer children since those are more about sight-seeing/historical locations.

I would also venture to say that in addition to going at off peak times (Sept, Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb) don't pick one of the mega Oasis class ships which are geared for families. A smaller ship usually has less to do for kids.

It used to be the short 3-5 day cruises during the week were mostly adults due to being primarily "booze cruises" i.e, short getaways for partying. Not sure if that it true anymore.  Also you are likely to get fewer kids on Celebrity than on RCI.