Travel documents

johnjr

Can someone help me with this? I've been told a couple different answers to this question the 2 times I called Royal Caribbean. Is it true my 18 year old can travel with an enhanced NYS id and my 12 year old with a birth certificate? Thank you in advance. It's a closed loop cruise

2 hours ago, johnjr said:

Thank You

No problem!

It wasn't stated in your original request, but if both parents listed on the birth certificate aren't traveling with the 12-year old, they need to have permission from the non-traveling parent.  They don't always ask to see it, but you don't want to be caught without it if they do.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-family-legal-documents-do-i-need-to-board

Piggy back if I may beat the dead horse. 

When checking my cousin who is traveling with me in (I know he should have a passport, he doesn't and won't, I got mine at the suggestion of these boards) I noted for the document options there are BC+State ID listed and variations  of 2 document options relating to a BC. If you choose Passport or Passport Card that's the only option you have to choose. We have the option to choose "BC+DL" OR "Enhanced DL" all by itself and I can't help but notice if you choose 'enhanced' rather than just plain "DL" at check in it doesn't require the second form of ID (BC) to go along with it. Not trying to beat the dead horse, but wondered if it may possibly be a new change. Or maybe the check in part of the website is simply misleading for not listing birth certificate with Enhanced DL option next to it. I see Ashley above mention that RC hasn't yet implemented the Real ID  in lieu of Passport but I couldn't help but wonder if it's possibly a recent change, that they are now accepting Enhanced DL? The only reason I ask is because of their check in options pasted below. 

An example of the 'old' new license and NEW new license are below;  we only recently started using these licenses, the last time i got a duplicate license it was the one on the left (within the last couple years i think) but when i replaced my damaged license a couple weeks ago I got the one on the right.

Is there someone at Port Authority or RC that I may be able to ask do you think? 

728627673_dlnew.PNG.74c446a7e68d3f3517b8bd6b0a414828.PNG

options.PNG.ec6680ff46bdb706d12dabc53e21105e.PNG

PS: I know how much simpler it would be if he got his passport. 

1 hour ago, PRebecca said:

Is there someone at Port Authority or RC that I may be able to ask do you think? 

You ask 10 different people from either and you're likely to get 10 different answers.  That's the problem.

I know that the requirement for the Real ID with the star is that you have to present more documentation for the enhanced ID, but one of those required documents still isn't a birth certificate.

If you visit the Department of Homeland Security's website it does state that you can not use a real ID for international cruise travel.  https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

1 minute ago, PRebecca said:

@AshleyDillo ok gotcha, understood. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I am done with travel doc questions! ?

No problem.  I'm all #TeamPassport for all...but truth is I still bring my birth certificate as a backup.  Keep it packed separately from my passport so I have it as a backup.

16 hours ago, johnjr said:

Can someone help me with this? I've been told a couple different answers to this question the 2 times I called Royal Caribbean. Is it true my 18 year old can travel with an enhanced NYS id and my 12 year old with a birth certificate? Thank you in advance. It's a closed loop cruise

YES a ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE is ACCEPTABLE.  A NYS Enhanced Driver License is equivalent to a PASSPORT CARD.  The same required documentation for each.  When you check in on the APP there is also an option to check in with the ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE.   I just used it in August on the ALLURE

3 hours ago, PRebecca said:

Piggy back if I may beat the dead horse. 

When checking my cousin who is traveling with me in (I know he should have a passport, he doesn't and won't, I got mine at the suggestion of these boards) I noted for the document options there are BC+State ID listed and variations  of 2 document options relating to a BC. If you choose Passport or Passport Card that's the only option you have to choose. We have the option to choose "BC+DL" OR "Enhanced DL" all by itself and I can't help but notice if you choose 'enhanced' rather than just plain "DL" at check in it doesn't require the second form of ID (BC) to go along with it. Not trying to beat the dead horse, but wondered if it may possibly be a new change. Or maybe the check in part of the website is simply misleading for not listing birth certificate with Enhanced DL option next to it. I see Ashley above mention that RC hasn't yet implemented the Real ID  in lieu of Passport but I couldn't help but wonder if it's possibly a recent change, that they are now accepting Enhanced DL? The only reason I ask is because of their check in options pasted below. 

An example of the 'old' new license and NEW new license are below;  we only recently started using these licenses, the last time i got a duplicate license it was the one on the left (within the last couple years i think) but when i replaced my damaged license a couple weeks ago I got the one on the right.

728627673_dlnew.PNG.74c446a7e68d3f3517b8bd6b0a414828.PNG

options.PNG.ec6680ff46bdb706d12dabc53e21105e.PNG

PS: I know how much simpler it would be if he got his passport. 

PLEASE NOTE that an ENHANCED DL is not a regular REAL ID License.  An Enhanced Driver License requires the same documentation as is required when you apply for a Passport or Passport Card.  The STAR on the Top Right only indicates a REAL ID License and not that it is an Enhanced DL.

f26166fc-d118-4bd2-932e-c6f4e414d3af-large16x9_DMVRealID.jpg

Edited by VinceC

8 hours ago, VinceC said:

YES a ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE is ACCEPTABLE.  A NYS Enhanced Driver License is equivalent to a PASSPORT CARD.  The same required documentation for each.  When you check in on the APP there is also an option to check in with the ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE.   I just used it in August on the ALLURE

It's not a enhanced drivers license it's a enhanced id card from DMV