Royal Caribbean's New Cancellation Policy - March 7, 2016

RCCL New Cancellation Policy to make things easier to understand!

Applicable to bookings made on-or-after March 7, 2016

1-4 NIGHTS (including Holiday Sailings)

Days to Departure       Charges Per Person

75+                              No Charges

74-57                           Deposit Amount

56-29                           50% Total Price

28-15                           75% Total Price

14 days or less            No Refund Except taxes & Fees

5 NIGHTS OR LONGER (including Holiday Sailings & Cruisetours)

Days to Departure       Charges Per Person

90+                              No Charges

89-57                           Deposit Amount

56-29                           50% Total Price

28-15                           75% Total Price

14 days or less            No Refund Except taxes & Fees

16049473_Cancellation_Policy_2016.pdf

This policy change is just a improvement for the company at the expense of the client. Absolutely has no positive benefits for the consumer and just improves the companies position.  I look at it almost like when a food company reduces the package size and puts new and improved on the package.  Anyway you look at this it is a lost for the customer.

This policy change is just a improvement for the company at the expense of the client. Absolutely has no positive benefits for the consumer and just improves the companies position.  I look at it almost like when a food company reduces the package size and puts new and improved on the package.  Anyway you look at this it is a lost for the customer.

If I can be a "glass is half full" kind of guy, I would say one small benefit to customers is it's now simpler to know what the cancellation policy is across the board.

Just because its simpler to understand defn doesn't make it better.

It means as customers we have to pay earlier....and less options to cancel if something changes and get money back...

But what I think what Royal is doing, is by moving the cancellation date and final payment date further back, it allows them to then drop some cabin pricing to fill the boat if needed, but not violate their new "no last minute price drop promise".....

Very tricky but smart on their part.......

Thoughts..or am I way off on this?

I don't think you are wrong that the move largely benefits RC, but I do think a simplified cancellation policy does make understanding it easier.  There is something to be said about having clear and easy to understand policies, rather than having to look it up all the time.

Another benefit is if final payment is sooner, that means anyone looking for those deals immediately following final payment, when extra cabin inventory comes back due to cancellations, will find an easier time to book since they have more time to figure out logistics, such as airfare.

As Doc mentioned, they are now in line with industry standards.