Up to date Internet info

Ok gang,, what is the most current info on how to stay connected ? I've never had anything other than passing interest, but my daughter is staying home alone this time and I'd like to be available to her. If I pay for the Internet, does that also mean I can text message, or is it Internet only ?? Thoughts ? I know different ships have different offerings. We will be on Liberty. Soon. 😎

Take a peak at this thread, hopefully it helps answer some of your questions at least regarding the wifi plans and cost:

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/1245-wifi/

Here's a recap of my experience on Liberty last OCT/NOV:

(1) $20 / day for unlimited access for ONE device (any ONE device at a time... you do not have to select a specific device to use exclusively... I took turns with my wife logging into our own iPads),

(2) $30 / day for unlimited access for TWO devices (same as above - you will see advertising for $15 / day... that's effectively the price per device when you select this plan... very misleading advertising). and

(3) $40 for 24 hours unlimited access for ONE device (NOT minutes, but clock time... once you purchase and login, the access expires 24 hours later)

* PS - With the first 2 plans, you can sign up at any time during the cruise.  I refused to pay $200 for one device (10-night cruise) at the start of the cruise, so I waited until the mid-point of the cruise and then signed up (pro-rated for remaining days of cruise - last 5 days for $100).  You are charged from the point of sign up to the last day of the cruise at either $20 or $30 / day rate based on plan selected.

The Liberty is $20.00 per day ($140.00 per cruise) for 1 device at a time for unlimited email. If you are Diamond Plus there is an $80.00 coupon you can use.

This was true last week, too. They also offered 60 minutes for $14.95 on the last day.

The Liberty is suppose to be getting Voom in June.

There may be another option with Verizon Wireless. They now offer TravelPass. With TravelPass, you can pay just $2 (Canada or Mexico) or $10 (many other countries) per day and get access to your voice, text, and data plans as if you were in the US.

I'm traveling to Canada next week, so it's nice to know that I'll have unlimited talk and text and a lot of data available for just $6 for the three days I'll be there.

Another quick point.... I'm not sure if you guys have or use apple products such as an iPhone or iPad???  But if you do, just having an internet package would allow you to be able to send and receive iMessages which are basically like the exact same things as text messages but between iPad and iPhones ect.  Only data is required to do this.... no texting or voice coverage required then..  Just something to think about!

Adam, you would still have to buy some kind of data plan for the iMessage to work though right ?

Yes, iMessage relies on data only (not SMS), so you would need a data plan.

Correct and correct.... but you could use the onboard wifi as your data source.  Not sure if that's what your were referring to or actual data from your phone provider.

Yea, thought so. I'm not interested in the Internet enough to pay all that. My only concern is being in touch 24/7 via phone with my daughter at the house, so the Verizon $40 plan is perfect.

If you just need to check in with her, paying per text could actually be the cheaper way to go.