R. I. P. Seaview Cafe

PRC

I guess we all knew it was only a matter of time...

When Jewel finally gets her refurb this year, the last Seaview Cafe will will be a part of history :(

I for one really liked the Seaview.  Its not that the menu was great, and to be honest nothing from the limited selection was really worth writing home about, but it just seemed to "fit" on a cruise.  

The Sovereign and her sisters were built in a time where there was usually some sort of extravagant buffet going on most every evening and the never really had anything comparable to the Seaview.  The Vision class had the Solarium Grill/Cafe and it soon became the place that everyone headed to after the evening show, etc for a late night snack.  The Voyagers and Freedoms all have Cafe Prom and sorrentos of course, but in a way these feel like walking out of the theater in a mall and stopping at the food court.  

The radiance class got it right:  The Seaview Cafe was way up top.  You had to go outside to get there.  It had more seating outside than in.  It didn't let you forget that you were underway, under the stars, in the middle of the sea.  This was cruising!

One of the best Seaview memories I have happened on the Radiance in Alaska (2008):  We had spend the afternoon at Hubbard Glacier and the evenings entertainment was the Osmond Brothers (well, 3 of them.  No Donny and the eldest had passed on).  We hit the Seaview for a snack and just as we were ordering, the Osmonds showed up.  After two shows they had the munchies too!  It wasn't anything "star struck" or such, it ended up being 3 guys just sitting on deck with everyone else, laughing, swapping bits of BS and whatnot.  I got the impression that they really did enjoy leaving the "performance" behind and just kicking back and having a nice evening like everyone else.

I'm gonna miss you Seaview Cafe...

I had heard about this but never got to experience it. Too bad they are doing away with it...more disappointed about losing the location than the food it sounds like. Surprised a Radiance class ship would be making changes that limits seaviews as that is one of the things ppl enjoy about this class of ship!

I am back on Brilliance in Feb, will have to enjoy sitting outside and having lunch as who knows if/when they will get rid of that in the future.

I had heard about this but never got to experience it. Too bad they are doing away with it...more disappointed about losing the location than the food it sounds like. Surprised a Radiance class ship would be making changes that limits seaviews as that is one of the things ppl enjoy about this class of ship!

I am back on Brilliance in Feb, will have to enjoy sitting outside and having lunch as who knows if/when they will get rid of that in the future.

Brilliance already lost hers.  Izumi now has that spot.

I enjoyed the Cuban sandwiches at the Seaview Cafe on Jewel... but it might have been the weird hours that did her in.  On Jewel IIRC it was only open from 2:30-5:30 or something along those lines.  I would have much rather had lunch there than in the Windjammer, but it was never opened at lunchtime.

I thought you could still sit outside at the windjammer on Brilliance? Pretty sure last Jan on my cruise you could anyways...

There is no outdoor seating at Izumi.  You can walk around and there are some chairs here and there, but nothing at Izumi.

I really missed the SeaView Cafe on the Brilliance and having something similar on the Liberty last week.  There's just something to be said about being able to get a freshly cooked meal or snack late at night.  While the Brilliance had the Park Cafe and the Liberty had Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade, they all only served premade items and many times they were the same as those offered in different venues; thus, variety was lacking.  I do think there needs to be one place that offers something that is freshly made even if it were only a deli.  While I know there's room service, I'm never have the time to wait on it.

I really missed the SeaView Cafe on the Brilliance and having something similar on the Liberty last week.  There's just something to be said about being able to get a freshly cooked meal or snack late at night.  While the Brilliance had the Park Cafe and the Liberty had Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade, they all only served premade items and many times they were the same as those offered in different venues; thus, variety was lacking.  I do think there needs to be one place that offers something that is freshly made even if it were only a deli.  While I know there's room service, I'm never have the time to wait on it.

Closest thing on a Freedom class ship is Windjammer or Cafe Promenade.  Not quite the same.

Closest thing on a Freedom class ship is Windjammer or Cafe Promenade.  Not quite the same.

I'd actually say that the Park Cafe on Brilliance was better than Cafe Promenade simply for the fact that you could get something hot in the form of a paninni.