Balcony room max occupancy

Can anyone explain why I cannot book for myself/wife/6y old son for a balcony room when all of them clearly state occupancy is for 3 people? 

I already have a ocean view room but would prefer to upgrade to an available balcony room and pay the difference. 

CSR keeps just telling me that they don’t allow three people on the balcony room. Somethings missing here. 

Jon

1 hour ago, UnknownAce said:

Can anyone explain why I cannot book for myself/wife/6y old son for a balcony room when all of them clearly state occupancy is for 3 people? 

I already have a ocean view room but would prefer to upgrade to an available balcony room and pay the difference. 

CSR keeps just telling me that they don’t allow three people on the balcony room. Somethings missing here. 

Jon

The only reason I can think off is the muster station  assign to this cabin already full (or in general or number of kids) .  

Try a room on another area or another deck , see if you can book it.

From what I can gather, I think only some of the rooms are setup for 3 and 4 people.

If you look at the deck plans, you’ll notice some rooms have different symbols. I’m assuming that only the rooms with the triangle symbol are suitable for 3 people.

I just booked for late 2020, and if I select 3 people I am only shown certain rooms.  However, if I change this to 2 people, then suddenly a lot more rooms are available to choose from.

Both are good answers and related.  Cabins are not identical.  Some may have a love seat that can’t be made into a bed.  Other cabins may have bunk beds that drop out of the ceiling for more guests.  

Certain cabins may appear to be capable of additional guests but they are allocated to a muster station where they need that extra capacity for a larger multi person cabin.  

Muster stations are specific to a physical lifeboat.  Maritime laws and conventions dictate they can’t overfil a lifeboat even with smaller children.  If a lifeboat can take 200 people they can’t add more people to that lifeboat station so that 201 would need to use that lifeboat.  Even an 8 month baby consumes one spot in a lifeboat, the same spot a 200 lb. adult consumes.  

If a particular muster station has 10 cabins that can take 6 guests they need to offset that by capping a number of otherwise normal cabins to a maximum of 2 guests.  

It’s quite a puzzle to work out with hundreds of cabins of various sizes.  

I have seen close to the sail date where a room can accommodate X amount of people, but if the ship is getting full to the point it's reaching its capacity for lifeboats, then the room capacity is superseded by the ship's safety and ability to handle passengers in the case of an emergency.