St. Thomas and Antigua

RRoberts

Leaving on Adventure in 46 days for 7 night Southern, seems so far off but yet so close. The wife and I have been to St. Thomas 4 times before but only have taken a taxi to Megens Bay and shopping. We have rented a Jeep for the Day to get out and explore the island this time. Looking for any must see places. Also thinking of doing the same in Antigua. Any  suggestions would be great

When I go to an island for the first time I usually just do a general island tour. That gives you an idea of what is there and if you have time, or when you come back again, you will have the opportunity to do 1 or 2 specific things based on your earlier recon.

I've been to Antigua a few times and I know that it's beautiful...but I cannot recall anything specific. After a while, they all run together in my mind.

In a post I read earlier this morning, someone commented that the ship is just the means for getting to your destinations (ports of call) and I completely disagree with that. I wouldn't care if the ship just cruised around in circles for 7 days (or more !) - at least, in the Caribbean. There are VERY few ports that I look forward to - Curacao and Bonaire are about the only 2 that come to mind. As for the rest of them, I really don't care much about the islands. For me, the ship IS the destination and that's why it has become more and more important for me to have the ship and the kinds of accommodations that I really want.

I'm sure this is a function of the fact that I have cruised in the Caribbean so much. For newer cruisers I'm sure the destinations are very important - they used to be to me, too. But after a while, they all begin to look alike, sound alike and have pretty much the same experiences. This is not a BAD thing - it's just that your perspective changes after a while. I love the ship. The ship is why I cruise.