Overnight in Port

Guest toodle68

Guest toodle68

One of our cruises arrives in port the day before the end of the cruise and so is in port that night.  We have never experienced this before..

A couple of questions.  Is entry/exit to the ship open 24 hours a day?   and more importantly, can we leave the ship at any time?

I ask because it's Quebec and the flights out are not great. The best flights are at 6am and want to know if we are able to leave the ship at 4-4:30am and head to the airport.

Sounds like you are arriving into Quebec at the end of your cruise.  

I sailed the snowbird migration from Quebec last year that started with an overnight in Quebec.  Once on board we were free to come and go 24 x 7 until it was time for our sail away on day 2.  

The difference is going to be luggage for you leaving in Quebec.  The official tagged luggage system will operate normally at set hours.  While there are security staff 24 x7 for guests boarding the ship, the dock workers and terminal employees who handle luggage are not 24 x 7.  You might be able to self-assist off the ship, carrying all your own luggage 24 x 7 but I can't confirm that.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I sailed the snowbird migration from Quebec last year that started with an overnight in Quebec.  Once on board we were free to come and go 24 x 7 until it was time for our sail away on day 2.  

We are doing the snowbird migration from Quebec this Oct 2019 and we were wondering about using US money or should we exchange some for Canadian money.

6 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

We are doing the snowbird migration from Quebec this Oct 2019 and we were wondering about using US money or should we exchange some for Canadian money.

I have a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.  I used credit at bars, restaurants and shops.  I did notify my credit company of my travel plans so they wouldn't block my card.  

The Fenicular in Quebec City is cash only.  They accepted my US cash at face value (no exchange provided).  I would have used $CAD but had none with me.

The ship is entirely USD so any cash tips on board are accepted in either currency.

Here is my travel blog from the 2018:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9521-adventure-ots-13-night-snowbird-migration-quebec-to-ft-lauderdale-oct-8-2018/

Guest toodle68

Yes arriving into Quebec.  We will certainly self disembark with our luggage if we decide to leave at 4am.  I hear there is a 65$ fee if you leave the ship early, but not sure if that would apply just based on 3-4 hours since the ship is already in port.  There are just not many good options for flights after the early ones.

1 hour ago, KathyC said:

The OP is planning on disembarking at the wee hours of the morning - don't they have to go through customs?

The ship would have to cleared on the first day they arrive there.  That's the only way people can get off and tour the city.  I don't think Canada customs seals the ship at the end of day one and then re-screens everyone coming off on day two.