Booking specialty dining on embarkation day (Radiance)

iujen94

Hi!  We're cruising on Radiance next June from Vancouver to Seward, Alaska.  Our ship departs at 4:30 pm.  We've cruised Royal Caribbean a number of times, and usually we like to board as early as possible.  However, I love Vancouver (my family has never been), and I'd love for us to have some time to explore the city before we board.  My concern is specialty dining reservations.  We bought the ultimate specialty dining package (yay Black Friday sale!), so we'll want/need reservations every night.  I've mapped out our preferred dinner times for the week, and they are all in the 6:30-7:30 range, when I'm sure EVERYONE wants to eat.  Normally I'd board as early as possible and head straight to make our dining reservations.  If we wait and arrive at the port around 1 or so (boarding around 2, I'm thinking?), do you think that couple of hour difference will make a big difference in our ability to get the reservations we want?  

14 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Maybe the time of day might need to be adjusted, but that would be it.

Agreed. 

In general, if you get a dining package you should be prepared for some level of flexibility.  You are trading off the ability to get the exact times every day for paying roughly half the cost. It's well worth the trade off, in my opinion, but it does mean you may have to eat earlier or later on a day or two than you might otherwise prefer.

Oh, I totally get that I'll need to have some flexibility just by virtue of using the dining package - and I'm hoping the fact that I don't care which restaurant I eat in on which night will help.  I'm just wondering if a 3-4 hour delay in boarding (and making our dining reservations) will have a big impact on the times that are available.  Thanks everyone!

53 minutes ago, iujen94 said:

I'm just wondering if a 3-4 hour delay in boarding (and making our dining reservations) will have a big impact on the times that are available.

If you book it all on day one, you should be fine.  It's people that wait until later in the cruise that I think run into real problems.

Keep in mind a vast, vast majority of cruisers don't read sites like this and have no idea to book early.

14 hours ago, Matt said:

If you book it all on day one, you should be fine.  It's people that wait until later in the cruise that I think run into real problems.

Keep in mind a vast, vast majority of cruisers don't read sites like this and have no idea to book early.

I know that, and I'm still in a panic over getting the bogo for allure in March.  We really really really want to go to central park on night 2, though we can switch it to night one.  Sigh....I will run to the first person I see and ask where to go.  I can totally just head to central park and go right to any restaurant right?  Someone will be there as soon as boarding starts?  We always aim for getting to the port by 10 so we should be on by 1130!  Jane

• 4 months later...