ABC Islands- not so active but love history/chilling on beach

Catopalooza

Hello and thanks for letting us join! We have a cruise 4/25/20 on Adventure of the Seas to Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.

We are both in our mid 50's and not really into scuba/snorkeling or super athletic type excursions.

Have you had any good (or bad) experiences there? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy cruising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonaire has a GREAT little ice cream shop in town, very easy walk from the port and also VERY clean. My wife and I will be on the same cruise as you and will will more than likely do some snorkeling or scuba diving. As we get closer to the sail date, we will have to coordinate a get together for drinks!:27_sunglasses:

On Aruba, go to Palm Beach.  It is just a short cab ride away and is beautiful and tranquil.

On Bonaire take the Sea Cow Snorkeling excursion.   Bonaire has some of the best snorkeling in the world or so I was told by some very experienced snorkelers.  Personally, I am an amateur and had no issues.  They provide life vests if you want which allows you to snorkel with very little exertion, just float and look below the water.  There is something to see everywhere you look.  

9 hours ago, rjac said:

Bonaire has a GREAT little ice cream shop in town

After the excursion I agree with @rjac go into town to the ice cream shop, get a cone and explore the town.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:35 PM, SolariumSnoozer said:

On Aruba, go to Palm Beach.  It is just a short cab ride away and is beautiful and tranquil.

On Bonaire take the Sea Cow Snorkeling excursion.   Bonaire has some of the best snorkeling in the world or so I was told by some very experienced snorkelers.  Personally, I am an amateur and had no issues.  They provide life vests if you want which allows you to snorkel with very little exertion, just float and look below the water.  There is something to see everywhere you look.  

After the excursion I agree with @rjac go into town to the ice cream shop, get a cone and explore the town.

Thanks-how deep is the water near the sea cows? I guess the reason I am hesitant to snorkel is that I am not great at swimming (near drowning as a kid). I'd be into floating but not in super deep water, guess I may be out of luck.

Sorry for my delay in responding, I was off-line since last week.  The snorkeling area water is deep, you can't stand there, but they give you the option of using a life jacket.  My wife is not a strong swimmer and she used a life jacket and didn't have any issue.  It is your option how far you want to travel away from the boat and there is plenty to see between the fish and the reef.  They do always find something very interesting like a barracuda or a small shark and you might miss that if you don't follow the guide but these is still plenty to see.  They always have at least two guides in the water, one if the front and one in the back.  If you do this and are hesitant I would stay near the back with the trailing guide.  You can also get back into the boat anytime you want.  You should be confident though because if you aren't you will not enjoy the experience.