Passport expiration question

Will I be able to board the cruise ship with a European passport that is expiring approx. 4 months after the completion of the cruise? Departing Ft. Lauderdale on a 6 day cruise to Cuba in early November, passport expires end of Feb.  I do have a valid US Residency card as well.  Need to know if I will be able to board cruise as well as explore Cuba.

1 minute ago, ColleenandDanny said:

Will I be able to board the cruise ship with a European passport that is expiring approx. 4 months after the completion of the cruise? Departing Ft. Lauderdale on a 6 day cruise to Cuba in early November, passport expires end of Feb.  I do have a valid US Residency card as well.  Need to know if I will be able to board cruise as well as explore Cuba.

You will not be able to board and travel to Cuba.  Most countries require that a passport be valid for at least six months beyond the completion of a trip. If your passport expires sooner than that, you must apply to renew your passport. I suggest you expedite the renewal immediately.

If I am not mistaken , Cuba wants to have passport that has at least 6 month when you enter the country , 

Anyway , to be on the safe side its always better to extend your passport .

Another items which might be more complicate is that per US regulation I am not sure you can go to Cuba from the US with non US passport  , you should check it.

3 hours ago, ColleenandDanny said:

I believe it's the cruise line, Royal Caribbean that has the 6 month requirement. According to Travel.State.Gov site, Cuba requires a valid passport, there is no mention of it needing to be valid for at least 6 months after the travel has been completed. 

This is incorrect. Royal Carbbean doesn't set nor create passport requirements. Each individual country has their own requirements, but, I note that some countries require passports to be valid for at least six months after the travel has been completed and Cuba isnt one of them. I have travelled several times to Cuba and this is the biggest question/issue that cruisers have. 

Here is the link to Travel.State.Gov - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Cuba.html which states that a Valid Passport is required but no mention of the 6 month validity.

Here is a link from the Royal Caribbean site stating that the passport needs to be valid for at lest 6 months after the trip...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cuba/cruises-to-cuba-checklist.pdf

This is from Cuba and it too does not say an expiration date.  http://misiones.minrex.gob.cu/en/usa/consular-services#visa_turismo 

But it's also giving me USA info, based on my location.  For me personally, I always err on the side of caution and would probably renew to be safe.  Even if it ends up being RCCL with the policy and not the US gov't, you don't meet the RCCL requirement.  

44 minutes ago, ColleenandDanny said:

Here is the link to Travel.State.Gov - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Cuba.html which states that a Valid Passport is required but no mention of the 6 month validity.

Here is a link from the Royal Caribbean site stating that the passport needs to be valid for at lest 6 months after the trip...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cuba/cruises-to-cuba-checklist.pdf

Please do not interpret what you read unless you have a legal background as I do.  The reason for the 6 month validation is that ONE of the destination port might require the 6 month window and the only way to be 100% sure is to contact each country's State Department or Consulate. RCCL is bringing this to the attention to all cruisers and as stated prior, Cuba ISNT one of them. As for the rest of the itinerary, just check their respectives sites for passport requirements.

Guest toodle68

My rule of thumb and advice where passports/immigration is concerned, don't take chances. Always carry a passport when you leave your home country and always make sure it has at least 6 months from when you expect to return.

Trying to interpret different countries requirements or taking a chance is just unnecessary. 

18 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

My rule of thumb and advice where passports/immigration is concerned, don't take chances. Always carry a passport when you leave your home country and always make sure it has at least 6 months from when you expect to return.

Trying to interpret different countries requirements or taking a chance is just unnecessary. 

I'd agree that's probably a good rule of thumb