Should I reserve Wonderland in advance for a port day?

JLMoran

OK, I asked in an earlier thread whether specialty dining venues like Wonderland typically offer discounts on port days, especially overnight stays like I'll have in Bermuda. The response was a pretty solid "yes", though I was cautioned it won't actually be announced until embarkation day at the earliest, maybe not even until the day we're in port.

Now, I've been watching Wonderland availability this whole time, and so far every single dinner time slot is still available for our overnight day in Bermuda. But I can't help wondering if I should reserve it now anyway; if I find out that they do indeed have a special that night (and it's actually lower than the pre-sailing price) I can always ask to have the difference refunded as OBC to my SeaPass card, or just flat-out cancel the existing reservation and re-book. I'm nervous that if I don't do this before sail-away, I won't be fast enough the day they do announce the special to get a reservation at all. Especially if I have to make the reservation that day we're in port and I'm trying to get onto the island for what will be the very full day of the two there.

The other concern, of course, is that any discount offered applies to the on board pricing for a reservation, which of course will be higher than the current $49 per person rate on the Cruise Planner. The discount may just match the online pricing, or it may end up being higher.

Granted, Wonderland is considered a bit of a "weird" restaurant that's for the more adventurous; but if it's offered at a really good discount that night, I might find a whole bunch more people deciding they're feeling adventurous.

So what do y'all think? Should I just sit tight and fight back my control freak, have all the ducks lined up way in advance self, and wait until at least embarkation day to book? Or should I give in now that I'm so close to sail away, and just book it before the Cruise Planner closes down in a week?

I definitely feel you on the wanting to book thing - I've been obsessively checking the cruise planner multiple times a day!  I really don't want to miss anything.  I would say though, that if you did decide to go ahead and wait to book until embarkation day anyway, why not go for the BOGO dining package now?  You get two specialty restaurants for less than the cost of Wonderland in the cruise planner.  I know you're not too far out from embarkation (jealous!), so if you're still seeing slots available at Wonderland, I'd think you'd be ok as long as you get the reservation taken care of as soon as you board.  I got the three night package, and the first thing I will do when I board is make a beeline for the specialty dining booth and make the reservations we want.  

Side note - the wife and I are definitely toying with the notion of Wonderland as one of our choices, but dang it, we're just not that adventurous with food!  Can we just go and get the World for dessert.... haha *drool*

6 minutes ago, firebuck said:

I would say though, that if you did decide to go ahead and wait to book until embarkation day anyway, why not go for the BOGO dining package now?

I asked my wife about this very option. She feels the food at the complimentary restaurants is totally fine (and she doesn't yet know I bumped us to a JS room, so we'll have access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner!), and she just want to try Wonderland since I told her they usually have discounts on the port days She's also not keen on having to eat at specialty venues nights 1 and 2, wants to save it for later. And since I've learned that the smoked tomato soup in CK is only offered night 1, I kind of have to agree!

I will book in advance and when you feel like not want to go you still can cancel it. I have some question about the specialty restaurant, RCL already takes $14.50 tips from everyone which include for dinner. So if I go to a specialty restaurant, it will be another 18% tips with the price of dinner?

22 minutes ago, Susie said:

I have some question about the specialty restaurant, RCL already takes $14.50 tips from everyone which include for dinner. So if I go to a specialty restaurant, it will be another 18% tips with the price of dinner?

When you book the specialty restaurants, they have a separate tip that, per @WAAAYTOOO's comment above, is included in the price when you pre-order through the Cruise Planner, but is charged separately when you book on board. Your daily gratuity is for the dining staff in the main dining room, who also work the Windjammer during the day but (as I understand it) do not work the specialty venues; since specialty dining has its own separate wait staff, this is why there's a separate gratuity.

Still been waffling on this, because I'm trying to avoid adding any more charges to my card this month. Did another check on Cruise Planner, specifically for my cutoff date, and just saw that I have until midnight this Thursday (Oct 11) to make purchases, which is a day later than I expected and is perfect. My card cycles on Wednesday after 5 PM (close of business), so I'll hold off another few days, book it Wednesday evening so that it shows up on the next billing cycle, and then if I do end up canceling to take advantage of an on-board sale I'll be golden since it's all on the same billing cycle.

I have noticed, though, that the 7 PM slot for Wonderland is now gone. So I'll have to hope that 6:30 and 7:30 stay available until Wednesday. Otherwise it'll be a late night dinner yet again. ?