Voom Technology, 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

6 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

Hi all,

I am taking my first cruise this coming November.

I just signed up for the VOOM Surf + Stream package on Mariner of the Seas, because of the weekend sale. I am wondering if the wifi connection is 2.4ghz or 5ghz. 

TIA

Steven

No clue but here's the speed test I did last week...not sure if that helps?

IMG_7182.thumb.PNG.c0f7dfe7b0985d35b3304f41ebcdff3e.PNG

Most ships have both, but they use the same SSID.  It's up to your device to pick one, which typically means you end up on 2.4GHz.

Only Harmony has implemented a form of 'band select' that I can determine, but to be honest I haven't put a lot of effort into checking every ship I've sailed.

The cabins are metal with a metal door.  5 GHz doesn't penetrate as well as 2.4 GHz.

On most ships each plan is capped to ~4 Mbps down and 2Mbps up.  There will likely be someone who points out that once in while you may do better on this ship or that ship but by and large this is the speed cap imposed in the platform.  Once in a while you end up on an AP that isn't enforcing this properly and you luck out and get more throughput but don't count on it.

Freedom, Quantium and Oasis class all use O3b satellites where latency will be 200-300ms typically.  So far all other ships use legacy satellites and latency will be 600-700ms typically.