Cruise cancelled. Now what?

I just (9:30PM Friday) got notice that the Monday (4/27/2015) sailing of Majesty of the Seas has been cancelled. RC is offering a full refund plus 100% credit on a future cruise.

Unfortunately, we also have airfare, work vacation time, childcare and other expenses tied up in this trip. The Customer Service Rep on the phone gave us an address so we could write a letter requesting reimbursement.

Does anyone have any luck getting reimbursement from RC in a situation like this?

Alternatively, does anyone have any great ideas for two people with flights to Miami and no plans for a week?

Orlando is a short drive away. I, personally, could fill a week with Disneyworld. The Florida Keys are also nice. However, I'd ask Royal if there are any other cruises out of Florida that they could get you on even if a short cruise. NCL and Carnival have a number of ships, too, but the odds of any openings this close to sailing is unlikely.

Sorry to hear about the cancellation. From what I've heard in the past, Royal will typically refund change fees and other related expenses (e.g., prepaid hotels). Child care might be a bit more challenging, especially if you end up flying to Miami anyways.

How did you find out that the cruise was actually cancelled? I just recieved an email stating that all of my excursions and extras are canceled then I tried to log into their website and they couldn't find my cruise. My husband and I have been looking forward to this for a year now and we have a hotel booked in Florida for after the cruise and everything else. but back to my question.... I haven't recieved any word from them that the cruise was actually canceled, did you? and how are they handling non refundable airfare? also what does 100% credit on a future cruise mean? does that mean we get a free cruise out of this or on-board credit? Also, when can we expect our refund for the cruise will hit our bank cards? you know so we can do something else besides the cruise we have all been looking forward to. Thanks in advance, so disappointed

How did you find out that the cruise was actually cancelled?

After the email about the excursions and purchases being cancelled, I called RC. Afterwards, I got an email, text and automated phone calls with the same message:

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International providing you with important information regarding your Majesty of the Seas sailing April 27, 2015. In order to complete necessary repairs on Majesty of the Seas, Royal Caribbean will take the ship out of service for one sailing. Because of this, it is necessary to cancel your sailing. We will provide you with a full refund, as well as a future cruise certificate for 100% of the cruise fare paid. If you have booked through a travel agency, please contact them for any questions your may have or any needed assistance with your booking. We are deeply sorry that we will be unable to deliver the cruise vacation that you were looking forward to. We understand that our guest’s vacation time is very precious and can assure you that we did not take this decision lightly.

Having slept on it, I'm much less angry, but plenty disappointed. Time to pull off a improvised Florida vacation!

I just received a call from my travel agency informing that the cruise has been cancelled. So frustrating!!! I didn't receive any news from RC.

The girl from the agency informed me that RC sent this notification to them, but didn't give further explanations until now. 

I really don't know what to do now. Do you know if they will pay hotel and / or transportation for us related this week?

Good grief, I'd be beside myself if this happened to me. However, for them to give a full refund PLUS a 100% credit shows that this was obviously beyond their control. Can you imagine how much of a hit it is for them to give 100% credit to thousands of guests ??? Geez. I'm sorry this happened to you nevertheless.