How much do I love my family?

Matt

For our Freedom of the Seas cruise in July, we booked an inside cabin for the 4 of us (me, my wife, 4-year old daughter and 6-month old daughter) back under the Kids Sail Free deal.  We paid about $2400 total.

My wife and I realized a few weeks ago that squeezing in 4 people to 1 room isn't ideal and looked at connecting stateroom options. And family staterooms. And everything else.  Essentially, we can't find another option that won't close at least $4200 or so.

So essentially, to get more room and separation from my kids will cost me another $2000.  I love my kids but 4 people in one small room might be a bit much.  

Anyone think it's worth the extra two grand to splurge? Or do we suck up what we have and enjoy spending that $2k during the cruise?

I think you should splurge for the extra room especially since you have a newborn who probably is on a difficult sleep schedule. You actually some nights might have to separate your daughters if the baby is crying and cant sleep because you don't want a cranky 4 year old on your hands. I know spending an extra $2,000 is a lot but in this case might be necessary.  

Truly, only you can answer that question, but $2000 is getting close to the cost of another cruise, so I personally wouldn't do it. However as they get older and both are using the bathroom facilities, then I would say it's a must.

Kris

I say save the cash and spend it on another trip. We went on one in August and then again in October and my daughters were similar to yours in age. We found that we were hardly in the room so it didn't matter much the size of the room. 

For our Freedom of the Seas cruise in July, we booked an inside cabin for the 4 of us (me, my wife, 4-year old daughter and 6-month old daughter) back under the Kids Sail Free deal.  We paid about $2400 total.

My wife and I realized a few weeks ago that squeezing in 4 people to 1 room isn't ideal and looked at connecting stateroom options. And family staterooms. And everything else.  Essentially, we can't find another option that won't close at least $4200 or so.

So essentially, to get more room and separation from my kids will cost me another $2000.  I love my kids but 4 people in one small room might be a bit much.  

Anyone think it's worth the extra two grand to splurge? Or do we suck up what we have and enjoy spending that $2k during the cruise?

I *literally* just got off Jewel last Saturday and had a similar situation.  We had connecting rooms that we booked during the first BOGOHO offers last May, before the computer pricing algorithms figured out people like me would book two rooms instead of squeezing us into one.  We are a family of four, with an 8 year old boy and a 6 year old girl.  I have to say it was NICE having the two connecting rooms - given the age of our children.  With the six month old daughter, however, I'd just have everyone stay in one room.  Momma's going to have to be spending a lot of time with her anyway... at least that was the situation in my case when we first sailed with kids when they are 2 years old and an 11 month old.

Tip: RC offers (or at least they did) a baby package that contains food, diapers, etc., and at the time it was around $35-$40.  It comes in a waterproof bag with the RC logo on it.  Buy the package if only for the bag - it's a great bag, we're still using it on cruises for carrying towels and bathing suits, etc when we go onshore!  

I agree with saving it or another cruise. However...! I believe you said you owed your wife 2 cruises in another post, so I'd say go with whatever demands she makes :P .

Kidding aside that's almost enough for another cruise, so I would save it for later depending on how much vacation time you have and how you acrue it.

By the way, the obvious response is, "We know how much you love your family.  After all, you're taking them on a Royal Caribbean cruise!" :)

To be honest, I'm glad you posted this.  It shows me that I'm not the only one the has similar dilemmas.  I've changed cabins three times on our Brilliance cruise this summer because of fluctuating rates and the realization that downgrading, although an upgrade from our original interior, would pay for the next cruise, which was all fine and dandy until I booked the next, next cruise.  Perhaps the Liberty's prices will drop more to pay for the cruise after that. :)

Up to 7 nights i'd consider the 1 interior room for the 4 of us, any more than that- go big or kill a child....  :D  We just need July to get here now- let us know how you get on in the room... :)

I think we're going to just suck it up but will be reporting on it.  Worse case scenario, I can totally sleep on the pool deck, right?