Disembarking

Hello all! My wife and I will be going on our first cruise for our honeymoon. The itinerary says we will arrive at the New Jersey port at 7am. If we carry our own luggage off what’s the safest time to assume we would be able to make it off the ship and Uber to the Newark Amtrak station 11 miles away? How long usually to be able to get off the ship once it arrives? Thanks!

Welcome to the message boards!

I've cruised on Anthem 3 times from Bayonne and blogged about them in the live blog section of this message boards.  I posted about the self assist experience on two of those live blogs.  

I'm an early riser so getting up early to secure a spot near the start of the self assist line comes naturally to me.  

The line will begin forming before or by 6am.  It's up to customs when they start letting people off.  The ship may be tied up well before 7am but it's completely in the hands of US Customs.  

I took Lyft on both occasions except to the airport (EWR) instead of the train.  Pretty easy experience.  

I'm on Adventure of the Seas next week when the ship repositions to Bayonne and I may live blog again including self assist disembarking.  Keep an eye on the live blog section.  

13 hours ago, NYsportsfan said:

How long usually to be able to get off the ship once it arrives?

The issue that makes this question difficult to answer is that United States Customs dictates when and how quickly the ship will be cleared.

What time is your train? That may be easier for us to let you know how realistic an option it is.

A rule of thumb that has been posted here when it comes to flights, is to not schedule anything before noon at the earliest. This allows for customs taking their time with allowing disembarking to begin, or any other holdups that could happen, plus needing to arrive at least two hours early for baggage check and security screening. Might be good to follow the same advice for a train trip, depending on how much time baggage check and any security checkpoints take relative to the experience at an airport.

17 minutes ago, NYsportsfan said:

we don’t have a time picked and have plenty of options. We can def go with a later time to have no worry but they have a train at 10 and 11, I am hoping one of these would work 

Oh yes, you'll be fine.  The real question is if the ship will be cleared closer to 7:30 or 8am.

20 minutes ago, NYsportsfan said:

we don’t have a time picked and have plenty of options. We can def go with a later time to have no worry but they have a train at 10 and 11, I am hoping one of these would work 

Just as a point of reference, on two occasions I was sitting in the Delta Skyclub through security at EWR in the 7:30am to 8:00am time frame.

Details of the self assist line here: 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5387-anthem-11919-9-night-bahamas/&do=findComment&comment=55358

And here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5068-anthem-112517-712-b2b/&do=findComment&comment=51144

1 minute ago, NYsportsfan said:

Oh ok that’s great. So do you think a 9:22 train would be good or play it safer with 10:04?

Traveling alone and an early riser it would be hard pressed to beat my times above so consider them a best case.  If you want to be more leisurely on the morning of disembarking buffer accordingly.