Communication Package

I’m wondering about the communication package that they advertise for certain ships.   If we get that for the kids, and I already have the Internet package do I also need to purchase the communications package to communicate with them, or can I do the same thing through my Internet package?   I’m also curious about how it works. The advertisement says that you communicate with anybody else that has the package on the ship.   Do you build an address book of people or is it pre-populated with everybody on the ship? 

I assume this is in reference to your upcoming Anthem cruise?

The feature you are referring is a part of the RoyalIQ app.  When you purchase the 'chat' feature you are assigned a phone number within the app.  You use this phone number to chat with other users who have also purchased this feature within the app.  This feature is not included by simply purchasing a Voom internet plan so if you buy it for your kids you need to buy it as well even though you already bought Voom internet.

Note about Anthem - if you all have iPhones, iMessage works for free on Anthem without purchasing anything.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

I assume this is in reference to your upcoming Anthem cruise?

The feature you are referring is a part of the RoyalIQ app.  When you purchase the 'chat' feature you are assigned a phone number within the app.  You use this phone number to chat with other users who have also purchased this feature within the app.  This feature is not included by simply purchasing a Voom internet plan so if you buy it for your kids you need to buy it as well even though you already bought Voom internet.

Note about Anthem - if you all have iPhones, iMessage works for free on Anthem without purchasing anything.

Does the Imessage work on other ships as well without zoom? Adventure for example 

On 4/9/2018 at 1:20 PM, twangster said:

I've always assumed that's a bug, or at least, RC would love to end that loophole.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've always assumed that's a bug, or at least, RC would love to end that loophole.

It is sort of.  Side effect of having RoyalIQ receive notifications. 

It will be interesting to see how RC implements chat in the new app.  If they want to allow notifications then iMessage piggy backs on them.  Without notification of a new chat message you'd have to go into the app and look to see if any new chats arrived.  

I suspect they are struggling to find ways to handle this which is what is delaying chat in the app.  Personally i'd like to see them open up wifi chat for free natively, it uses so little bandwidth, but could impact Voom sales so its unlikely.   

Just now, twangster said:

I suspect they are struggling to find ways to handle this which is what is delaying chat in the app.  Personally i'd like to see them open up wifi chat for free natively, it uses so little bandwidth, but could impact Voom sales so its unlikely.   

Agreed. I have to think a sizeable portion of guests buy an internet package to communicate with other guests.