Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Allianz told me that the deposit is covered. As long as you insure the full amount. I'm starting to wonder if my agent knows what she's doing... Which is worrisome to me

That is only if you had to cancel the trip due to a covered reason which is detailed in their policy wordings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jurrjurr said:

That is only if you had to cancel the trip due to a covered reason which is detailed in their policy wordings. 

Yes but my agent said the nonrefundable deposit wasn't covered at all. So that didn't make sense.  This whole thing is so confusing. I don't know which company to choose or which deposit type. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Yes but my agent said the nonrefundable deposit wasn't covered at all. So that didn't make sense.  This whole thing is so confusing. I don't know which company to choose or which deposit type. 

My advice is book a refundable deposit. I still have yet to book a non-refundable deposit ever.  That covers your cancellation problem (unless you're booking a non-refundable only room like a suite).

If you are in a category that has non-refundable only, then your best bet is to wait.  Better to pay a bit more than incur a cancellation fee, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Better to pay a bit more than incur a cancellation fee, right?

I'm beginning to wonder if that is actually true, Matt.  The truth is, the most it's going to cost me is $200 and then I have a limited time to rebook using the rest of the deposit but for those of us who cruise often, rebooking another cruise doesn't really seem to be a problem !

B/c I am so loathe to book a non-refundable deposit cruise, I booked a refundable JS on the March 2019 Panama Canal crossing on Jewel.  What I really want is a GS.  Now, all GS are gone and I am left holding a reservation for a JS that I don't really want with no immediate path forward to getting the GS that I want.  If and when a GS opens up down the road, it is undoubtedly going to be more than $200 more expensive than what it was when I first booked the refundable JS.  I'm kind of kicking myself for booking the refundable JS now.

I really really REALLY HATE this NRD on suites but I'm beginning to think I would be better of just sucking up the $200 deposit ransom and getting what I want in the fist place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

If and when a GS opens up down the road, it is undoubtedly going to be more than $200 more expensive than what it was when I first booked the refundable JS. 

You have a good point there.  I think key is you have to be okay with the cancellation fee if you want to change.  I think bigger issue is when you aren't sure that sailing will work or not, rather than the room.  

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I really really REALLY HATE this NRD on suites

No doubt it's a pain, but the reality was suites were being gamed too much under the old system.  People were treating suites like numbers on a roulette board. :42_confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man you guys.  You got out of my element here.  I"m a newbie. 

But I pay more for a refundable deposit.  I don't get OBC.   My friends are traveling from Europe and are already booked.   So I feel like the odds of canceling are small.  And I guess worse case I could not cancel and lost $500 but pay to change the cruise date entirely and lose $200?  Is that right?  From what I see the reason for refundable is so that you can cancel before final payment for a non-covered reason.  If I cancel after final payment I get penalized and I better have insurance. Is that correct? 

WAAAYTOOO - why are you loathe to book NRD?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Oh man you guys.  You got out of my element here.

Call Allianz, I just got off the phone with Mike at EXT 28474.  They DO cover the Non-Refundable deposit up to a certain point depending on the policy you take. I am leaning toward a per trip versus an annual (I have 3 cruises booked in the next year), I am paying basically the same through the cruiseline which doesn't cover it unless you want future cruise credit and they cover the ENTIRE amount of trip. costs more but it's worth it to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm beginning to wonder if that is actually true, Matt.  The truth is, the most it's going to cost me is $200 and then I have a limited time to rebook using the rest of the deposit but for those of us who cruise often, rebooking another cruise doesn't really seem to be a problem !

B/c I am so loathe to book a non-refundable deposit cruise, I booked a refundable JS on the March 2019 Panama Canal crossing on Jewel.  What I really want is a GS.  Now, all GS are gone and I am left holding a reservation for a JS that I don't really want with no immediate path forward to getting the GS that I want.  If and when a GS opens up down the road, it is undoubtedly going to be more than $200 more expensive than what it was when I first booked the refundable JS.  I'm kind of kicking myself for booking the refundable JS now.

I really really REALLY HATE this NRD on suites but I'm beginning to think I would be better of just sucking up the $200 deposit ransom and getting what I want in the fist place.

I agree with @WAAAYTOOO completely on this one.  I have yet to book a refundable one through RC.  I would much rather take my chances with the $100pp cancellation fee because with a family of 4 (or even 2 when it's just hubby and I), the cost to change it from refundable to non-refundable down the road is way over $200 or $400 that I would have saved by avoiding the change fee.

Just recently I learned that you can lock in the addition passenger rate by booking only 3 people so from now on, that's my strategy.  Any sailings too far out, I book only 3 of us and add the 4th later, then at least I would only be out $300.  But I usually don't book unless I plan to sail anyway.  It's only if something unexpected comes up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

WAAAYTOOO - why are you loathe to book NRD?   

I like to be able to book a cruise but then have the ability to cancel if I need to !  I only book non-refundable when I KNOW for sure that I am going on the cruise.  But with suites, if you don't get them early, they will all be gone so it's truly a conundrum.  Insurance, if it will apply to NRD, seems like the way to go OR just be prepared to lose $200 and be ok with it !

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I like to be able to book a cruise but then have the ability to cancel if I need to !  I only book non-refundable when I KNOW for sure that I am going on the cruise.  But with suites, if you don't get them early, they will all be gone so it's truly a conundrum.  Insurance, if it will apply to NRD, seems like the way to go OR just be prepared to lose $200 and be ok with it !

What is the $200?  That's the change fee right? Do you have to pay the change fee on the refundable deposit?  I feel like there is something I"m missing? 

I thought if I cancel before final payment and I have non-refundable, then I'm out $500.  IF I have refundable then I'm out nothing.   Is that correct? 

I didn't think you could change from refundable to non-refundable.  How does that work?  When can you do that?  That has a fee?  All the fees you guys mention are confusing me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

What is the $200?  That's the change fee right? Do you have to pay the change fee on the refundable deposit?  I feel like there is something I"m missing? 

I thought if I cancel before final payment and I have non-refundable, then I'm out $500.  IF I have refundable then I'm out nothing.   Is that correct? 

I didn't think you could change from refundable to non-refundable.  How does that work?  When can you do that?  That has a fee?  All the fees you guys mention are confusing me. 

The $200 is acutally $100pp (for @WAAAYTOOO and her husband).  There is no change fee on the refundable deposit.  That's what makes it appealing.

If you have NRD and cancel before final payment, then you are completely out $100pp and the remainder of that you will get back in the form of a Future Cruise credit that you can use within one year.  It expires.  If you have a refundable deposit and cancel prior to final payment, you are out nothing.

Some people book a refundable (to hold the spot) and then later when they are more sure of dates, etc. they change it to NRD to get the lower rate.  This sometimes backfires as the price has usually gone way up by then, or as @WAAAYTOOO and I have experienced, the room you actually want is gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Is that what you meant by "up to a certain point"? If not what do you mean? 

The annual costs $249.00 Per Person. Covers trips for one year. The trip cancellation coverage with that policy is $2,000 PP ($4,000 Total). If you use all or a portion of that amount, and you cancel but have more trips planned, You've used the total for the year. If you only have one trip booked I would take out an individual policy just for that trip. The individual is based on AGE too, so you would have to call and get a quote. If you want coverage just for one trip as you aren't taking any others, I would do that. All insurance for cancellation is for a covered reason for the most part.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The $200 is acutally $100pp (for @WAAAYTOOO and her husband).  There is no change fee on the refundable deposit.  That's what makes it appealing.

If you have NRD and cancel before final payment, then you are completely out $100pp and the remainder of that you will get back in the form of a Future Cruise credit that you can use within one year.  It expires.  If you have a refundable deposit and cancel prior to final payment, you are out nothing.

Some people book a refundable (to hold the spot) and then later when they are more sure of dates, etc. they change it to NRD to get the lower rate.  This sometimes backfires as the price has usually gone way up by then, or as @WAAAYTOOO and I have experienced, the room you actually want is gone.

I thought if you have NRD and cancel before final payment you are out $500? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hoofbeats95 said:

I thought if you have NRD and cancel before final payment you are out $500? 

If you have 5 people on the reservation.  Otherwise, no.  You are out $100 per person and the remainder comes back to you in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (it's like store credit).  But it expires.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I didn't think you could change from refundable to non-refundable.

Yes, this is perfectly fine to do. Like @Boston Babe, I converted my refundable Junior Suite booking on Anthem to a non-refundable a couple of months ago, mainly because of a promotion that came out which made it worth my while (equivalent base price vs the original refundable booking, plus on-board credit). No fee for this, I'm just fully locked into that sailing now and will have to pay the change fee if something forces us to cancel.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Some people book a refundable (to hold the spot) and then later when they are more sure of dates, etc. they change it to NRD to get the lower rate.  This sometimes backfires as the price has usually gone way up by then

I definitely got lucky on that front. As noted, the initial conversion didn't really help me much in terms of the base fare. But then another promo came along after that which ended up saving me about $100, at the cost of some of my OBC (which I was willing to sacrifice for a lower up-front cost in this case). Then luck came my way a second time, when the very next promo kept the same base price as before but increased the OBC to almost what I had before. So overall I lucked into a net win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JLMoran said:

Yes, this is perfectly fine to do. Like @Boston Babe, I converted my refundable Junior Suite booking on Anthem to a non-refundable a couple of months ago, mainly because of a promotion that came out which made it worth my while (equivalent base price vs the original refundable booking, plus on-board credit). No fee for this, I'm just fully locked into that sailing now and will have to pay the change fee if something forces us to cancel.

I definitely got lucky on that front. As noted, the initial conversion didn't really help me much in terms of the base fare. But then another promo came along after that which ended up saving me about $100, at the cost of some of my OBC (which I was willing to sacrifice for a lower up-front cost in this case). Then luck came my way a second time, when the very next promo kept the same base price as before but increased the OBC to almost what I had before. So overall I lucked into a net win.

Yes, like anything you have to monitor it.  Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.  I think it depends on the time of year you sail too.  All my cruises have pretty gone up from the time of booking because I always go during school holidays and summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you have 5 people on the reservation.  Otherwise, no.  You are out $100 per person and the remainder comes back to you in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (it's like store credit).  But it expires.

I have 2 people.  My MEI agent said if I have non-refundable and cancel before final payment I'm out $500.   This is driving me nuts.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I have 2 people.  My MEI agent said if I have non-refundable and cancel before final payment I'm out $500.   This is driving me nuts.  

It's $250 deposit per person right to make $500?  So if you cancel with a NRD, you lose $200 completely and you will get back 2 FCC worth $150 each.  But they will expire in 1 year from the date of issue.

Maybe it's time for a new TA?  From what I've heard, there are some really good MEI ones out there...

@hoofbeats95 you can read more details about it here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/05/09/royal-caribbean-announces-new-non-refundable-deposit-program

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/legal.do

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If they aren't going to cover non-refundable deposits then it will be of limited use to me.  I am looking for a way to be able to book a suite and then cancel if I have to.

 

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

BINGO!!! ME too!!

Lol! I just read this over again and missed these earlier!  Me three!!!!

If you ladies ever figure it out let me know!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...