Anthem of the Seas MDR dress codes

LaurieB

We leave for our first RCI cruise in 25 days!!  Yay!!!  But I'm having some anxiety around dress codes. My boys are...casual at best. They are 15 and 12 and to have them wear khaki pants on a vacation is tantamount to torture. I would like to have dinner with them and my dad each evening, and I know dad will want to check out the MDR at least once or twice. My question is, we have late seating and I wonder how casual can my kids be? They live in athletic wear. We are shopping this weekend for clothes (another torture for them) and I want to make sure I get what they need. We also have reservations for Chops one night.

Thanks everyone!!! Love the blog and the podcast!!

AFAIK, Chops will definitely require something a bit nicer than athletic wear. It's "Smart Casual" like the MDR on non-formal nights.

Do your boys wear jeans at all? They might be able to get away with a good pair of jeans and a polo shirt or short-sleeve button down shirt, if that was something that wouldn't be as tortuous as wearing khakis and long-sleeve button down.

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Do your boys wear jeans at all?

Negative. I think khakis would be easier than jeans so I'll go with that. If I can get away with them in khaki's and a polo I'll be really happy. Just don't want to have to buy them jackets or ties.

Thanks for the quick reply, Joe!

39 minutes ago, LaurieB said:

I think khakis would be easier than jeans so I'll go with that. If I can get away with them in khaki's and a polo I'll be really happy. Just don't want to have to buy them jackets or ties.

The "smart casual" style for regular nights in the MDR and specialty restaurants definitely doesn't mandate jackets or ties. I'm planning on wearing chinos and a polo, or chinos and a long-sleeve button down for non-formal in the MDR and any specialty restaurants we visit, you can bet your kids will be just fine with khakis and a polo.

For reference, there's a pretty helpful video from Cruise Tips TV on YouTube, titled "What to Wear on a Royal Caribbean Cruise". Gives visual examples of different outfit types that include some young boys / young men's outfits.

We just got off Anthem a few days ago and there were lots of boys/men in nicer jeans/khaki colored jeans/khakis with polos/henleys and "nice" pullovers (no graphics or just a small logo). There was the occasional pair of dressy shorts but they were not the norm. On the other end of the spectrum, there was more than 1 teenage girl in tight skinny jeans, a crop top and flip flops on formal night :2_grimacing:

No athletic wear.  No pool/beach wear.  No flip flops.  No shorts.  That's what the Windjammer buffet is for.  Nice pants, a collared shirt, and close toed shoes (for men) in the MDR.  I wear Dickies brand pants and a collared shirt typically, they look very close to dress pants/khakis, and are more comfortable in my opinion.

Having sailed on Radiance and Grandeur before Anthem last year, I did not get the "traditional" main dining room vibe on Anthem... probably due to the 4 separate MDR venues.  Had my teens in jeans and a collared shirt, and there was no issue.  I didn't bother with a suit coat at all, as opposed to Grandeur, where I wore my tux and it felt pretty cool to do so there.  Personal preference :)