Stopover @ Saint Petersburg

Halo2

Welcome to the site, Nancy !

That sounds like a REALLY nice itinerary.  I am envious.

If the overnight stops in Europe are the same as they are in the Caribbean and Bermuda, then there is no deadline for being back on the ship and you should be fine.  I hope that those who have been on an overnighter in Europe can validate my theory.

8 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If the overnight stops in Europe are the same as they are in the Caribbean and Bermuda, then there is no deadline for being back on the ship and you should be fine.  I hope that those who have been on an overnighter in Europe can validate my theory.

That is what I would expect too.

1 hour ago, Halo2 said:

Hi there

I have just booked the July cruise with Serenade of the Seas which will have one night stopover at St. Petersburg.  I may catch the World Cup game if I'm lucky enough to get the tickets.  The game however will end around 11pm.  Will it be too late to get back and up to the ship?  Thank you!

We did a similar cruise several years ago on the Navigator.  The overnight stay in Russia is different from most other cruise stops.  You are not allowed off the ship to just go exploring.  The only way to leave the ship was on a RC excursion or a excursion booked through an approved travel company.  If you have a travel agent have them help to set up that excursion.  When you get off the ship to go on your excursion you will go through a passport check point with long lines  It is like the movies,  you dont make comments or joke around.   Keep a straight face and only answer the questions the passport agent might ask.   We went to Catherines Palace and Hermitage Museum,  really spectacular but very crowded.  Saw  some fabulous sights on that cruise so if you want some ideas where to go let me know...

You can come and go as you like when the ship is in port, even over night. However, if you're from the U.S. using a tourist visa provided by one of the tire operators, you'll need to arrange the World Cup game through them as you need to be "supervised" by the company arranging the tourist visa. If you want to go it on your own, then you'll need to apply for a regular visa through the Russian Consulate. 

DocLC I will be going on shore excursions with a company that has been registered and for the day tours I would not need visa.  If I manage to get the World Cup tickets I can also register myself and FIFA Russia is granting free visa as a Fan.  

I’ll definitely take note if I don’t get tickets I need to be up on the ship and can’t roam as we pleased in other countries.

Thanks everyone for all the advice !

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 11:11 PM, Halo2 said:

DocLC I will be going on shore excursions with a company that has been registered and for the day tours I would not need visa.  If I manage to get the World Cup tickets I can also register myself and FIFA Russia is granting free visa as a Fan.  

I’ll definitely take note if I don’t get tickets I need to be up on the ship and can’t roam as we pleased in other countries.

Thanks everyone for all the advice !

It sounds like you have your bases covered. Sounds like a great way to enjoy St. Petersburg.