Dress code for Chops?

Loopner

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

I always wondered what "collared shirt" meant, exactly.  Is it an oxford dress shirt, or can it be a polo shirt with a collar?

Dressing up is the only thing I dislike about cruising.  I don't want to wear shorts and flip flops per se, but I don't want to wear a suit, or worse a tux either.   It seems older people like getting dressed up because that is their generation, but most companies do not dress in shirts and ties anymore.  I've only been on one cruise, Jewel of the Seas last year, and on the two nights where dress code was formal, I ate on my balcony or the windjammer.  I think if I was on the Queen Mary II or something it wouldn't bother me, but in the Caribbean on RCCL it does...  not sure why.

Thanks,

Mike_

P.S.  I just started listening to your podcast and I love it!  I am going on the Vision of the Seas 02/07/2015 for Western Caribbean.

I always wondered what "collared shirt" meant, exactly.  Is it an oxford dress shirt, or can it be a polo shirt with a collar?

Polo shirts are fine.  When I say "collared shirt" I really do mean any collared shirt, because I can't think of a collared shirt that isn't nice enough to meet this sort of dress code.  You can get away with a polo shirt and khakis or even polo shirt and "nice jeans".  Or you can go up the scale and go with a dress shirt, add a jacket, tuxedo, etc

P.S.  I just started listening to your podcast and I love it!  I am going on the Vision of the Seas 02/07/2015 for Western Caribbean.

Thank you for listening! It's a lot of fun to put together every week!

Dressing up is the only thing I dislike about cruising.  I don't want to wear shorts and flip flops per se, but I don't want to wear a suit, or worse a tux either.   It seems older people like getting dressed up because that is their generation, but most companies do not dress in shirts and ties anymore.  I've only been on one cruise, Jewel of the Seas last year, and on the two nights where dress code was formal, I ate on my balcony or the windjammer. 

I used to bring a suit, but the last few cruises I've just brought some khakis and an oxford or other nice shirt, and a tie for the "formal" nights photos.  No hassles regarding that in the dining room.  I just can't justify the extra cost to schlep down that extra luggage for something I'm going to wear for maybe 4 hours.

bcarney,

My thoughts exactly. To bring nicer cloths I would have to bring a garment bag, which adds to the cost of the flight, but more importantly I don't want to.

I never cruised before, so last year was my first. I lived from morning until night in wet-dry bathing suit and polos or t-shirts. For dinner I would throw on slacks and a polo and loafers. Formal nights I would hide :) On night we ate in a specialty restaurant and I had a blazer, oxford shirt, etc... and couldn't wait to break free of it.

Thanks,

Mike_