Wonderland Dining with Kids

jennybean

Super newbie here. Never been on a cruise and I'm crazy excited.

I have heard and seen so much about Wonderland that I have to dine there. I will be there for my birthday so I want it to be my birthday dinner, but we are also traveling with my family which includes my 4 nieces. 3 of them will 4yrs old and one will be 7. Do they have a kids menu? And are the kids a different price? Or would this be a place you wouldn't want to bring young kids to?

I believe the cost for kids at specialty restaurants is $10. Not sure if that particular restaurant as a kids menu. When we were there someone was celebrating a birthday and they made a special dessert just for him. It was fun to watch. Wonderland is a very unique dining experience and while we enjoyed we feel like we would not need to try it again. If your kids are adventurous eaters then they might like it. The presentation is very unique and for some other kids it might scare them off altogether. @Matt had a really good blog with pictures from a while ago. That will give you an idea of what it looks like. I personally would never take my kids but then again my kids are the "chicken nuggets and pasta or I will starve" type. When we go to back and showed pictures of our Wonderland food to our girls they said they were glad we did not take them to that. :8_laughing:Hope that helps.

I've seen a couple of YouTube videos of Wonderland taken by families who went with their young children (looked like maybe a 5 year-old in the one video I remember). Wasn't clear from the videos if the kids were eating the same food as the adults, but I'd definitely take their tastes into account. If they're adventurous at their age (like, the four-year olds enjoy raw broccoli and cauliflower, or they've developed a super-early taste for unusual flavors and textures like sushi), they might enjoy it.

One possibility that might work is to let the kids have their own dinner at the Windjammer shortly before your reservation, but have them save a little room to allow for tasting the food in Wonderland; especially the dessert (I'm thinking of the chocolate globe that's melted at the table to reveal more sweets inside, which by the looks of it anyone would enjoy). This way the kids can relax and just enjoy the presentation and decor of the place, and sample what they think they'd like, without any risk of them getting cranky from hunger. And if they decide not to eat anything there, they can just go back to the Windjammer afterward to fill up their tummies the rest of the way.

The last couple of times we went to the specialty restaurants with our son, he was simply told to order off the regular menu. Are for some reason, we were never charged for him, which I can't explain. While we did have the five night package, it was for the adults only as you can't book for children online. 

Personally, unless your children are VERY low energy,  and have a very high adventure threshold, I would not take them to Wonderland.

Full disclosure:  I am NOT a fan of Wonderland in any way.  I found the food to be way too weird but I DID think the service and novelty of the decor and presentation to be of some, limited value.  But for children under the age of maybe 10 or 12.  Nope.  The meal is VERY long and I think they would be, not only bored, but not thrilled with the food unless they REALLY love weird.  Even if there is a children's menu, I would hate for you to pay to have them ruin YOUR meal out of boredom.