First time (sort of) questions

ZinzMat

I'm taking my honeymoon on the Harmony this Dec to the western Caribbean and have a couple questions. I've been on several cruises but the most recent was about 10 years ago and I've never been the one to plan it, so a lot of this is new! Also the largest ship I've been on was the Explorer so I think I'm in for quite a shock :) My husband has never been on a cruise so I'm hoping I can plan enough ahead that he enjoys it!

1. What is the weather like in Labadee, Falmouth, and cozumel in Dec? Still warm enough for shorts? I'm from NH so anything warmer than 60 degrees I'm happy with.

2. My TA booked us in a guarantee balcony. Can I still do online check in? What are the odds we get an obstructed view? If we do is there anything we can do about it? I didn't know it was a guarantee until it was too late...

3. What time would you recommend getting to the ship? It's been too long for me to remember what time we usually boarded. I want to be on as early as possible!

Thanks all!

First of all, Congratulations !!  What a wonderful honeymoon !  I know you're both going to have a wonderful time !!!!

1.  The weather in Labadee is always hot.  Even in December.  You will be delighted to be able to take a nice, cool, refreshing swim.  DEFINITELY warm enough for shorts.

2.  Technically, a guarantee room means that they can put you ANYwhere in that cabin category, but truly, even the obstructed view balconies on Harmony aren't REALLY obstructed.  The worst would be that you would not be able to see the ocean by going out on your balcony and looking straight down (the lifeboats would be below you) but you will never have an obstructed view directly off your balcony.  If you are in an obstructed view room and you are sitting on your balcony, looking out at the ocean, you will not have ANY obstruction to your view.  Having said all of that, if you find that you HAVE been given an obstructed view balcony (or some other location with which you are not 100% happy), you can go back and ask to be moved to a different cabin in your category if there is one available.  They will move you if they can.  The TAs are very good with these kinds of things.  Let them handle it.  The guarantee category is nothing to be fearful of.  You will be fine !!!  ...and you saved some $$.  That's a GOOD thing.

NOTE:  All of the above is predicated on being a US booking.  If you are under other rules (Europe or Asia, for example) these rules may not apply.

3.  Either get to the ship early or get to the ship at the last minute.  The worst thing you can do is get there are 12:30 - 2:00....that's when the hordes are out.  I always try and arrive at the port between 10:30 - 11:00.  You may have to wait in the waiting area for a bit but it beats waiting in a long security line for a LONG time.

It will be hot but water will be refreshing. Bring sunscreen for sure. 

I've never used a guarantee cabin but you can call and change it if there is another cabin available in same category. Once you are assigned a cabin and cruise gets closer you will be able to complete online check in and fill out and print your set sail pass. Oasis class ships are awesome and there is more to do than you will be able to do in a week so don't stress and try to fit everything in. 

Security check opens at 10am usually, so we like to get there around 9-9:30am. I would rather get there early and hand our luggage to the porters, wait in a short line for security to open and get through that quickly. Once through security you go upstairs and wait in chairs and in air conditioning. Much nicer than arriving at 11 when its already 86 degrees outside and the line for security check is two blocks down the sidewalk. On all seven of the cruises I've been on my wife and I have been on the ship enjoying a drink and no crowds yet by 11:30 at the latest. 

1 hour ago, ZinzMat said:

3. What time would you recommend getting to the ship? It's been too long for me to remember what time we usually boarded. I want to be on as early as possible!

I recommend arriving to the terminal in the 11:00 hour. You'll beat the crowd and be among the first to get onboard.