$25 corkage fee is no more

Matt

Hearing that the $25 corkage fee to open a bottle of wine you brought onboard has now been removed.

If true, that would be great.  Granted, the $25 fee was rarely enforced. I brought many bottles onboard in last 2 years or so and only got hit with the fee perhaps twice.

This is indeed great news! Hopefully it is indeed true. Perhaps they have recognized the service as (fee) rarely enforced and valued by guests leading to rolling it into already included services. One small but good way to further the brand and ultimately cost them little if anything in lost revenue.

• 9 months later...

How strict are they with the 2 bottles per stateroom? If I "accidentally" pack a couple extra bottles and the confiscate those extras at embarkation, will they hold the bottles and give it back to me at the end of the cruise?

Also, for the 2 bottle rule, does this apply to champagne as well? I'd like to bring 1 bottle of champagne & wine for our next cruise. 

How strict are they with the 2 bottles per stateroom? If I "accidentally" pack a couple extra bottles and the confiscate those extras at embarkation, will they hold the bottles and give it back to me at the end of the cruise?

Also, for the 2 bottle rule, does this apply to champagne as well? I'd like to bring 1 bottle of champagne & wine for our next cruise.

It might work if you carried on your bottles and packed the 'extras' in your luggage, but that's a big maybe.

Last time I carried mine on while my wife packed hers, my luggage came on time while hers didn't. Because the x-rays picked up a bottle in her bag she had to go down and open it in front of the staff, there were many cruisers doing the same thing. I learned never to pack my liquids, even if they are legal you will have to go down and prove it, they won't open your bag and check it without you present.

That said If you were willing to go threw that hassle, I doubt they would know you packed two bottles and carried on two, you go on board separate from your luggage.

Hearing that the $25 corkage fee to open a bottle of wine you brought onboard has now been removed.

If true, that would be great.  Granted, the $25 fee was rarely enforced. I brought many bottles onboard in last 2 years or so and only got hit with the fee perhaps twice.

Does this mean I can take a bottle from home and the main dinning room will take care of it for me? Much like when you buy one and they have that bottle held for you every night till its gone.

The reality is they really do not track how much you bring on, especially if you break it up among people.  You absolutely must carry on the wine yourself but every time I have done it, no one has checked that I have wine with me or that I've reached my allotment.  

My suggestion if you want to bring more is to spread it out among people in your group.  Two bottles per person.  

Keep in mind theoretically you could be busted and have to lose the extra bottles.  

Matt, as usual with RCI no consistency on this issue.

For most of our cruises they have just glanced at the bottles and waved us through, for Allure last year though there was a list of cabins and you had to sign a form and initial next to your cabin when you went through. Presumably if someone else from your cabin then tried to bring another two bottles they would notice and do something, we were compliant though so I don't know for sure :)

Caused a major backup at security as everyone with wine then had to line up right behind security to have their bottles examined and sign off on the sheet that they had brought them on.

Matt, as usual with RCI no consistency on this issue.

For most of our cruises they have just glanced at the bottles and waved us through, for Allure last year though there was a list of cabins and you had to sign a form and initial next to your cabin when you went through. Presumably if someone else from your cabin then tried to bring another two bottles they would notice and do something, we were compliant though so I don't know for sure :)

Caused a major backup at security as everyone with wine then had to line up right behind security to have their bottles examined and sign off on the sheet that they had brought them on.

Wow, I've never had that experience. I've brought wine onboard in Port Canaveral, San Juan, Galveston and Cape Liberty and no one ever said anything to me about the wine I brought on.

I'll let you know what happens after I try it again this weekend.