Do they announce if Northern Lights are visible?

Hello, I'm considering the Greenland cruise from Boston in September, thinking that there might be a decent chance of seeing the Northern Lights since it is 15 nights and I'm guessing that 7 of those nights will be in the aurora oval. Would appreciate any thoughts on how overly optimistic this might be, but also, if the Northern Lights are out, will the captain announce that?  Or do you just have to sit in the observation lounge and watch? Thanks.

I did this cruise last year.  The Facebook group tried setting up a phone chain.  Lots of mad people when they missed calls or the call was late night.  The Facebook group people would chat/post when they spotted lights and people would go.  I don’t recall announcements. 

i recommend learning if your phone will be able to capture the lights,  mine could iPhone 12 Pro. Hubby’s could not-iPhone x.    The lights appeared as wisps of light grey clouds.  The phone would pick up the color-not the naked eye-to us it looked like wisps of clouds. 

IMG_8163.jpeg

IMG_8188.jpeg

IMG_8194.jpeg

I did the artic cruise in Sept 2022 and they did not let us know about the lights.  the trick is most of the time you just seen a white smear in the skyline and when you looked through your camera/phone you could see the colors.  I did get to see the lights without anything but it was 3 am and the only ones out was me and 4 deck hands cleaning up.  You just have to be lucky.

@Pattycruise Thanks so much for the info. Super helpful to know that it is a possibility on that cruise.  If you don't mind some more questions, from what you said it sounds like they might have been visible multiple nights on your cruise (or maybe multiple times on the same cruise); is that correct and, if yes, can you please give some more specifics?  Also, was it possible to look for (and see them) from the observation lounge or some other indoor areas, or did you have to sit outside on the deck to watch for them?  Thanks so much!

15 hours ago, SLM said:

@Pattycruise Thanks so much for the info. Super helpful to know that it is a possibility on that cruise.  If you don't mind some more questions, from what you said it sounds like they might have been visible multiple nights on your cruise (or maybe multiple times on the same cruise); is that correct and, if yes, can you please give some more specifics?  Also, was it possible to look for (and see them) from the observation lounge or some other indoor areas, or did you have to sit outside on the deck to watch for them?  Thanks so much!

They were not visible all night, but then again we weren’t looking all night.  When we did see them it was not for great lengths of time. We saw them almost every night in the Greenland area.  After 8pm, at times 9 or 10 pm…I think a lot depended on when people chose to look and then they shared if they saw something. 
we were outside-bundle up!  It was best to move away from the lit up areas. Deck 13 on Jewel was pretty dark, otherwise some areas of Deck 12 were good.