Newark to Broadway?

I am from CA where everything is far apart.

I have never been to NY or NJ.

I am trying to convince my husband to fly in a day before our cruise (We are currently on a red eye and land at 7am in Newark.)

As a music teacher I've always wanted to see Broadway, maybe even see a musical there.  

How far away is Newark airport/port to Broadway?

There is a hotel close to the Newark airport correct?  I've heard there is nothing close to the port.

It's really easy to get into the city from Newark.  Penn Station is on 34th st. in Manhattan and a 45 minute train ride from the Newark Airport. You could also grab the PATH train and head in. You'd go through the World Trade Center station on your way to midtown. 

If you want to see a show, I recommend downloading the TodayTix app first. You'll find some of your best discounts there. 

Distance wise it isn’t too far, time wise not so close. Plenty of hotels around the airport, but it would be a bit of time to cover the distance. We’ve stayed in Jersey city a few times and visited Manhattan. You can take a ferry across, more relaxing.

Two thumbs up for the Hilton Home2Suites across from the Newark Airport - free shuttle that was easy to find and a terrific room. The only downside was you can't walk to food but we loaded up at the airport (there is a massive food court inside Security where you can get all sorts of meal options... ended up with a couple subs and a nice "by the ounce" salad from a salad bar plus drinks that was realatively well-priced) and had a relaxing night before the cruise.

There are plenty of hotels near Newark airport. From the airport I believe you can take the train into Manhattan.

I recommend Tkts for discount show tickets. Shows available vary day to day, but if you just want to see a show, it's an economical way to do it. 

You should absolutely try to go to a Broadway show! There is nothing like it.

What time would you get in if you take the earlier flight?

I agree with many of the suggestions. If I were in your shoes, I would:

1. Book a hotel near the airport with a shuttle that runs regularly/often.
2. Grab breakfast or lunch at the airport and then take the shuttle to check into your hotel.
3. Take the shuttle back to the airport and get on the NJ transit train between EWR and NY Penn Station. There is a NJ transit app if you want to prepurchase tickets.
4. Depending on the time, walk around Manhattan and do some sightseeing. Eat dinner in the city. There are deals to be had on food if you are watching your budget.
5. Go to your show (prepurchase tickets through TKTS app, or at the booth, unless you have your heart set on a specific show - in which case, you should buy ahead at regular website/ticketmaster). Use subway/busses as needed.
6. Take train back to EWR
7. Take shuttle back to your hotel.

Book a hotel in Downtown Jersey City. Take the path train (the subway system bet NJ and NY) to and from NYC. There is NOTHING walkable at the Newark Airport Hotels. Take Uber/taxi etc to downtown Jersey City waterfront hotel. Take Path Train to and from Manhattan. Take Uber/taxi from hotel to Port. I lived there for 40 years. I promise this is a better option than staying at an airport hotel. Also, please consider not doing a red eye flight. It's such a bad way to start your trip. If you have questions about specific hotel's or other just ask.

So I guess I'll be the first person to say that you should stay in the city. Jersey City and Hoboken would be my second choice, and are both nice to stay in...but I personally would just stay in Manhattan itself. You'll have plenty of time in the morning/early afternoon to get out of the city and to the port. 

10 hours ago, Zacharius said:

So I guess I'll be the first person to say that you should stay in the city. Jersey City and Hoboken would be my second choice, and are both nice to stay in...but I personally would just stay in Manhattan itself. You'll have plenty of time in the morning/early afternoon to get out of the city and to the port. 

I stay in Hoboken and love the ferry ride across.  👍

I grew up in the midwest and then spent a few years in a southern city before moving to the NYC metro area. I was so overwhelmed! If you grew up there, it might be harder to understand how chaotic the area around the city can be for newcomers (what's funny is that the city itself felt less overwhelming than the Jersey side...). There is a lot that doesn't make sense if you haven't been there before, in terms of signage and systems and then there is just the mass of people always moving. I adjusted and I love NYC now, but I remember so clearly how different & difficult it was for me to try to navigate everything there at first.

@Minuet888 I would suggest going with the plan that feels the simplest/easiest to you. 

18 hours ago, Zacharius said:

Absolutely stay in the city. Not staying in Manhattan is almost like not experiencing the full effect. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2024 at 4:43 PM, jbrinkm said:

You should absolutely try to go to a Broadway show! There is nothing like it.

What time would you get in if you take the earlier flight?

I agree with many of the suggestions. If I were in your shoes, I would:

1. Book a hotel near the airport with a shuttle that runs regularly/often.
2. Grab breakfast or lunch at the airport and then take the shuttle to check into your hotel.
3. Take the shuttle back to the airport and get on the NJ transit train between EWR and NY Penn Station. There is a NJ transit app if you want to prepurchase tickets.
4. Depending on the time, walk around Manhattan and do some sightseeing. Eat dinner in the city. There are deals to be had on food if you are watching your budget.
5. Go to your show (prepurchase tickets through TKTS app, or at the booth, unless you have your heart set on a specific show - in which case, you should buy ahead at regular website/ticketmaster). Use subway/busses as needed.
6. Take train back to EWR
7. Take shuttle back to your hotel.

We arrive at 4:15pm so too late to "chance" discount tickets for any show plus our 18 year old autistic son is with us.

I have my heart set on Lion King but pretty much any show just for three of us is like $1,000!!!!!

My biggest fear is the transportation between the two places.  I don't think trains and subways are for us because it is confusing and I think too much for our son.  I would prefer uber but not sure how expensive it is and I've heard we might have trouble finding an uber that is willing to go between the two places.