Newcastle in the Pub on Oasis Class Ships

Thanks everyone!!
Original Newcastle beer can only be purchased in Europe and for some reason on RCCL ships. The version sold in the states is much different and not very good. It was my favorite beer so I always look forward to enjoying them while cruising!! I always hold my breath hoping they will have it on my sailing 😬 This year we are going on Oasis, countdown is getting close!!

18 hours ago, TravisMA81 said:

Why don't Playmakers and the Pubs offer more common beers on tap?  What I've seen is that they only have around four uncommon beers. 

I agree. We were recently on Navigator and they only had Heineken and Strongbow on tap in Playmakers. Pretty poor to be honest. It's basically false advertising as on the drinks menu it says they have 7-8 on tap including some IPAs, Newcastle etc., if they don't offer those beers on tap they should update the menu. Symphony was a bit better I think they had 4 different types on tap.

7 hours ago, rsott said:

Thanks everyone!!
Original Newcastle beer can only be purchased in Europe and for some reason on RCCL ships. The version sold in the states is much different and not very good. It was my favorite beer so I always look forward to enjoying them while cruising!! I always hold my breath hoping they will have it on my sailing 😬 This year we are going on Oasis, countdown is getting close!!

Wouldn’t the US sourced Newcastle be what’s on the ships? 

Ya it really is odd, the new Newcastle is a mix between an IPA and a brown ale, which is a terrible combination lol. The packaging is much different as well, easy to tell by the bottle/tap which version is being offered. I’ve tried looking everywhere online for a way to get the European original version, best solution I found was go to Canada lol. It really makes our cruise extra special that they have it! Not sure how they are able to source it, would love to know how

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kennygould/2019/03/07/newcastle-brown-ale-heineken-lagunitas/?sh=23b4352b1f27

22 hours ago, rsott said:

Ya it really is odd, the new Newcastle is a mix between an IPA and a brown ale, which is a terrible combination lol. The packaging is much different as well, easy to tell by the bottle/tap which version is being offered. I’ve tried looking everywhere online for a way to get the European original version, best solution I found was go to Canada lol. It really makes our cruise extra special that they have it! Not sure how they are able to source it, would love to know how

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kennygould/2019/03/07/newcastle-brown-ale-heineken-lagunitas/?sh=23b4352b1f27

Ok, I believe this is what I had at Playmakers on Symphony a few weeks ago. This version was also available in the pub. I had no idea there were different versions. I will keep an eye out now.

Newcastle was available on draft on Harmony a couple weeks back (consistently in the pub and intermittently in Schooner Bar and Pool Bar) and I'm fairly confident it was the original brew found in Europe and Canada. Certainly tasted the same as the last Newcastle I had at a Spoons in London. 

Though now that I know the American one is different I will have to grab a bottle on my next trip south to try it out.

On 1/24/2024 at 7:57 AM, rsott said:

Not sure how they are able to source it, would love to know how

Cruise ship supply chains are fascinating, read the labels and you'll find some interesting things - like how the Red Stripe cans served on board Royal Caribbean are brewed in Amsterdam.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:24 AM, cmich068 said:

Cruise ship supply chains are fascinating, read the labels and you'll find some interesting things - like how the Red Stripe cans served on board Royal Caribbean are brewed in Amsterdam.

I noticed that! Also the funky canned water left over from the Med season is always interesting.