How long for best deals after release date?

I'm considering booking something from NJ for 2025 when they release in February. When people say that the best prices are available at the initial release, how long does that price usually last? A day, a week, a month, a few months? Totally dependent on how many people book? We're sailing at the end of March - so would it be better to book through my TA immediately (also with group rates typically), or try to book at Next Cruise when we're onboard?

2 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

would it be better to book through my TA immediately (also with group rates typically)

I would go this route. In fact, I plan to as I'm in a similar situation... likely looking to book some cruise(s) released next month and will be on a March sailing.

The group rate lasts until the group space fills up. Not sure how one can predict that. Maybe ask your TA what they feel is best and then decide if it's worth the gamble to wait for NextCruise?

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

The group rate lasts until the group space fills up. Not sure how one can predict that. Maybe ask your TA what they feel is best and then decide if it's worth the gamble to wait for NextCruise?

So I guess that is part of my question - if I book at Next Cruise, do I get a group rate? Do I have to make it an "open" booking for that?

2 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

So I guess that is part of my question - if I book at Next Cruise, do I get a group rate? Do I have to make it an "open" booking for that?

Ask your TA. I know you can move the reservation into a group rate even if it doesn't start there but I've never done it and am not 100% sure of the exact procedure. Sorry.

EDIT for clarity: No, NextCruise can't give you a group rate, your TA would move you into a group.

This is purely anecdotal but I booked a cruise for March 2025 back in July with a group rate (so that group was obviously sitting around for a while). A month or so ago, my wife was trying to get a friend to join us and my TA still had a few cabins left in our category for that cruise.

So I'm sure you can still get group rates on many cruises without booking anywhere near the release... but there are likely many variables involved.

8 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

Check with your TA before making the NextCruise booking if there are group rates. My TA has always told me I have to book refundable at NextCruise if I want to be able to take advantage of the group rates. You don't get the same reduced deposit through NextCruise on refundable rates or the same OBC offers that they advertise but you will still get a little. Then your TA can move your booking into the group and reprice it to the group rate.