Why can i book a 2 person or 4 person room but not a 3 person room?

i booked a cruise for me and my family and we got some other family that have joined in wanting to tag along as well. i went it to try and book a cruise for them it shows sold out? but i looked at 2 people or 4 people and it shows everything is available? should i reach out to royal caribbean? 

Not all cabins are equal.  There are cabin that can only hold 2, there are cabins that have a capacity of 3 and there are cabins that can hold 4 guests. 

At times they won't allow 3 passengers to book a 4 passenger cabin because that results in a berth going empty.  You can't put 3 passengers in a cabin that only has bed space for 2.  If the 3 person cabins are sold out then sometimes they won't allow a party of 3 to book because tomorrow a party of 4 may come along and then there would be no more cabins to sell them.

You can try to call them, sometimes revenue management might allow an exception, but that is far from a sure thing.     

Sailed on Voyager last week...

3 Person Party

Booked in 3 Person Capacity Stateroom per Deck Plans...

Cabin had two ceiling Pullman beds so it technically could have had 4 people?

But yes, as a family of three we have also had problems with website in past finding room for 3.  A lot of times it would say 'sold out' and our option would be a guarantee  reservation...