Promotional OBC question

If you get a promotional onboard credit from RCCL, is it only good on the ship? Or will you get it in advance to use for pre-cruise purchases? 

Long story short, RCCL is currently offering OBC for booking a new cruise. I booked last night for a cruise that meets all the fine print criteria, but it's not showing up in my cruise planner. So I didn't know if this was normal or if RCCL was just taking its sweet time adding it to my cruise? (The fine print does say "is applicable to cruise only", but I was a little unclear if that meant only while actually on the ship. The only other times I've ever gotten OBC, it was from a travel agent and showed up in the cruise planner.) Thanks. 

OBC offered by Royal will be available in your cruise planner for any pre-cruise purchases (drink package, shore excursion, dining etc) as soon as you're booking is made. I have also heard, though I've not tried it myself, that it can be used to pay your daily gratuities (I imagine for this, you need to not pay them ahead of time, have them on your bill and your OBC will automatically be spent first as a credit on your account).

On 1/7/2024 at 12:19 PM, steverk said:

I've used it for gratuities many times. Just don't prepay them an it will be handled automatically.  Easy peasy. 

On a side note, NCL doesn't allow this for obc. They also don't allow you to use it in their version of the cruise planner. 

Very good to know. They're low on my "brand to try" list since i don't think they rewards match but good to know all those pretty features and sales don't shine as much as they seem to

38 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Very good to know. They're low on my "brand to try" list since i don't think they rewards match but good to know all those pretty features and sales don't shine as much as they seem to

Oh, that's just the start of it.  There was a story about NCL on the home page. I put in a comment outlining even more shiny objects with NCL that don't really shine in the end.