Can I still use the Cruise Planner when a TA is involved?

For those of you who work with a travel agent:

Once I've decided that I want a travel agent involved in planning a future cruise, can I use the RC cruise planner to select cruise, date, cabin choice, dining times, etc. and then transfer the planning to the agent?  (I know there's a time-frame where this would need to happen.)  Or do I need to contact the agent before doing anything on my own?

Another question:  Once an agent is involved, am I still able to select or cancel excursions and make periodic payments on the cruise planner or does all of that need to be done through the agent?

You can book and then transfer it to an agent within a couple of weeks. It would make more sense to use the website to determine which cruise you would like to take, what cabin you like and dining time you like without booking it and then contact the agent with the information. They may be able to give you a better price and some OBC.

Yes the cruise planner is yours to book excursions and internet and drinks…etc….
The only things you cannot do when using a TA is call yourself to get a price break.  If there is any of those you will have to ask your TA to call and get that done for you.  Also your payments must go through the TA…you can’t make cruise fare payments yourself.

But the cruise planner…book away!,  😂 

I have just recently started using a TA and am amazed at the lower pricing I’ve gotten along with OBC!  And the prices I have been offered are refundable!  I have always wanted my own control of everything but giving up just a little of that and receiving such wonderful offers in return…awesome!

19 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

It would make more sense to use the website to determine which cruise you would like to take, what cabin you like and dining time you like without booking it and then contact the agent with the information. They may be able to give you a better price and some OBC.

This confirms what I was thinking.  It seems that I'd have a better chance at the best pricing if I did NOTHING other than know in my mind what we want, and contact the agent from the get-go.

1 minute ago, happy cruisers 2 said:

smokeybandit, I'm confused by what you said.  If the cruise planner is "tied" to me, what can I do within the planner that I don't need to involve the TA with?

Correct. Once a cruise is booked, you would have to go through your TA to make any changes to the reservation itself, change dining times (for traditional dining), or add gratuities.

But for on board activities/services (internet, beverage packages, specialty dining, shore excursions, etc), those will be available to the passenger no matter how you booked the cruise.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Correct. Once a cruise is booked, you would have to go through your TA to make any changes to the reservation itself, change dining times (for traditional dining), or add gratuities.

But for on board activities/services (internet, beverage packages, specialty dining, shore excursions, etc), those will be available to the passenger no matter how you booked the cruise.

True, TA has no role in shore excursions, drinks package, internet, etc.  That is Cruise Planner.

26 minutes ago, Doug_Texas said:

True, TA has no role in shore excursions, drinks package, internet, etc.  That is Cruise Planner.

You guys are helping me understand who does what in the planning.  I know I could be asking the TA all of this, but it feels better getting input from experienced cruisers instead of tying up the TAs time with these details and so many questions.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, happy cruisers 2 said:

You guys are helping me understand who does what in the planning.  I know I could be asking the TA all of this, but it feels better getting input from experienced cruisers instead of tying up the TAs time with these details and so many questions.  Thanks!

Think of it like buying a house. You may use a realtor to buy a house or you may buy it yourself.

But once you have the house, your realtor isn't the one to replace countertops, paint rooms, buy a new bedroom set, etc. That's you, the homeowner.