One full day in London June 2024

Mike n Ky

We fly in early in the morning and the next day we have a full day there before leaving for Southhampton the day after. Never having been to Londan We are considering a day out to see various sites. Anyone booked a private tour there? One that could maybe accommodate 4 people if our friends decide to join us?

• 2 weeks later...

We used the "get your guide" app and did a few tours in London the last time we were there. Most that we booked weren't private, but that didn't matter to us. We did a Harry Potter Walking tour and a Palaces and Parliament walking tour. Each of these are a couple hours long, and were done on separate days. There is so much to see when in London, you will need to prioritize what you want to see. A good way to see a lot of things would be to do one of the hop-on, hop-off bus tours. We used Big Bus Tours. They have multiple routes that you can take, and see a lot of the sights (we chose the red route).  The tube system in London is also easy to navigate, so exploring on your own is also super easy to do as well. 

9 hours ago, GregD said:

We used the "get your guide" app and did a few tours in London the last time we were there. Most that we booked weren't private, but that didn't matter to us. We did a Harry Potter Walking tour and a Palaces and Parliament walking tour. Each of these are a couple hours long, and were done on separate days. There is so much to see when in London, you will need to prioritize what you want to see. A good way to see a lot of things would be to do one of the hop-on, hop-off bus tours. We used Big Bus Tours. They have multiple routes that you can take, and see a lot of the sights (we chose the red route).  The tube system in London is also easy to navigate, so exploring on your own is also super easy to do as well. 

I am a bare minimum user of apps so I will pass that on to my wife. Will also take a look at the big bus tours link. Thanks for taking the time and sharing!

I recommend taking an Uber or taxi to Windsor Castle for the day (~45 min ride). You can walk around the little town of Windsor for a bit (shops, restaurants, etc.) and then take the self guided audio tour of the castle itself. The tour includes St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle. You will not be disappointed! Attached are some pics. We were just there last month.

IMG_8004.JPG

IMG_8005.JPG

On 12/31/2023 at 10:46 AM, GregD said:

The tube system in London is also easy to navigate, so exploring on your own is also super easy to do as well. 

It's been many years ago, but I really enjoyed using the London Underground (The Tube).  Some of it is above ground actually.  I found it so exciting to ride up an escalator, to street level, and see a famous site right there in front of me.  It was such an easy way to quickly get around the city and see several places in a short amount of time.  Great for people watching and just observing everyday commuting too.  I hope you have a fabulous time, Mike n KY!

On foot (depending where you stay), you can hit Westminster Abbey for a do-it-yourself tour, get pics of Big Ben and Buckingham Palace, stroll past the Horse Guards, wander St. James park...all worth seeing, and anywhere in that area, you can catch the hop on hop off bus. Be aware that those buses spend a lot of time stopped, waiting to board more people, waiting in traffic, etc.

For an organized tour, I recommend one that covers  the Tower of London museum and Crown Jewels, and walking across Tower Bridge, and maybe tickets to tour inside Buckingham Palace. 

You can also walk or cab to Trafalgar Square for lunch, shopping, taking tons of photos of the fountain. 

Tripadvisor has lots of half day and full day tours listed. I would read the offerings and reviews. I recommend a half day tour and spend the other half exploring on your own so you can call it quits when you're ready. Keep in mind the time difference and expect to be exhausted early, maybe don't plan a late night. It's really hard to make that huge time change. It may be hard to stay awake past seven pm. ☺️

As said already, prioritize a few things you really want to do. Otherwise it will be easy to wander the day away. (Fun, too!)

You can't go wrong, so much to see.

I was there the day the Queen died. What an experience. 

IMG_5782.jpeg

IMG_5749.jpeg

IMG_5795.jpeg

IMG_5824.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

IMG_5849.jpeg

IMG_5711.jpeg

IMG_5664.jpeg

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5872.jpeg

IMG_5867.jpeg

IMG_5842.jpeg

On 1/1/2024 at 2:22 PM, happy cruisers 2 said:

It's been many years ago, but I really enjoyed using the London Underground (The Tube).  Some of it is above ground actually.  

In fact, the majority is above ground. Just not necessarily in the areas that tourists go. But of the 250ish miles, something like 60% is above ground.