Children in different room to parents

KWofPerth

In today's world, it is not uncommon for children traveling with a parent to have a different last name. The fact that you, as parents, are also traveling with the children removes the barrier of requiring extra paperwork allowing the kids to travel with adults who are not their parents. Just keep together as a group when you board.

16 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

In today's world, it is not uncommon for children traveling with a parent to have a different last name. The fact that you, as parents, are also traveling with the children removes the barrier of requiring extra paperwork allowing the kids to travel with adults who are not their parents. Just keep together as a group when you board.

Yes, I agree. I am just wishing to avoid an over-officious pencil-pusher at the Singapore terminal who decides I haven't completed procedures appropriately.

It is definitely okay in the US.  RCL permits minors in their own room as long as it is immediately adjacent or across the hall so I cannot imagine a scenario where being in a room with a grandparent would be a problem. At absolute worst the grandparents might need a notarized letter from the parents permitting the travel (you can find the form here) but that is really only if the children are "not traveling with parents."  That is not the case here, where, as you say, you are traveling with them, they are simply in a different room.  With that said, and understanding some people look to check the wrong boxes, or there is always a risk at being separated, it might not be a horrible idea  to have the notarized letter ahead of time, just as a backup.

7 hours ago, KWofPerth said:

Yes, I agree. I am just wishing to avoid an over-officious pencil-pusher at the Singapore terminal who decides I haven't completed procedures appropriately.

You should be fine if you are all together while boarding.  However, be mindful when leaving the ship at port.  I saw an incident where a grandparent was trying to take the grandchild off the boat at port and the ship security would not let them.  They had to find mommy and have her get off the boat with the child.  You may want to check with the customer service desk about what is needed if the grandparents plan on taking the little one at port without you.

We cruised with our kids and grandkids in the summer and I booked my husband in a room with our 3 granddaughters.  He joined me once on the ship and my daughter and her husband were in the room next to the girls.  Never had an issue except when we were getting off the ship in Nassau.  One of my granddaughters was with me and we were ahead of everyone else.  When they scanned her sea pass she was not permitted to leave until we could verify her parents were with us.  They actually asked her if she knew me!  LOL.  

56 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

We cruised with our kids and grandkids in the summer and I booked my husband in a room with our 3 granddaughters.  He joined me once on the ship and my daughter and her husband were in the room next to the girls.  Never had an issue except when we were getting off the ship in Nassau.  One of my granddaughters was with me and we were ahead of everyone else.  When they scanned her sea pass she was not permitted to leave until we could verify her parents were with us.  They actually asked her if she knew me!  LOL.  

That sounds similar to what I experienced in my comment above.  They were in front of us as we were exiting the ship in Cozumel.  They asked the child the exact same question, "if he knew them?".  I am sure it is standard operating procedure. They were pulled aside and one of the grandparents went to get mom.  We saw them a little later in port and I told them I was glad it worked out.